my new project! western flyer

77kickinaspen

Reaction score
well lets start by getting some history on the bike it has sat up in my great grandmas garage attic and i got it down and thought it was the coolest thing ever! since her passing ive wanted the bike and finaly i went and got it cuz i thought it would be so cool to restore and rat it out.

i started in the tear down after many pics something this old is worth the time and effort to do right. speaking of age i dont exactly know of the age my grandma say for sure its 30+ cuz her son played on it in his teens and hes almost 50 so....hoping maybe someone knows alot about these things ive figured out its a girls bike 24inch tires low option western flyer bycicle produced by western auto supply company so it is auto related! i have evreything tore down berrings ungreesed and ready to take new greese.

made sure all chrome has been sanded and buffed with a sos pad bare metal was sanded and cleared that will staybare.and getting things primerd and ready for a flat black satin gloss finish thinking of having some pinstriping done on it also things may change but im having fun with this lil project. what do u guys think about it?

S7301298 (640x480).jpg

S7301309 (640x480).jpg

S7301308 (640x480).jpg

S7301307 (640x480).jpg

77kickinaspen

Reaction score
project is moving nicely i will have update pics up tomarrow ,i should have all the painting done tomarrow and start the reassemble satin black with satin gloss finish rims cleaned up nicely with a sos pad.

will be starting a new project soon wait for the upcoming resto thread of my newly aquired 60's j.c. higgins sears bike with tank and headlight.

Jonnyuma

Reaction score
I think that's cool. I did a similar project on an old bike my wife had, a lot like what you started with except it was a boy's bike. I bobbed the fenders and made a beach cruiser-type bike out of it. Spent about twice what a new one would've cost.....those dang baloon tires were expensive!
Cool project, makes me want to hit up some yard sales and find another one.

BTW, my very first bike came from Western Auto, banana seat, ape-hanger bars, single speed. Soooo bitchin'

Last edited:

77kickinaspen

Reaction score
not done but went on its maiden 3mile ride this morning god it feels good to be more active, and expecialy on a vintage cruiser imagine it with pin stripes after i find a guy

S7301315 (640x480).jpg

S7301316 (640x480).jpg

Back