My recent fix

Hayzoos

Reaction score
My 5th started acting up recently. First indication was on a stretch of road with a moderately steep hill and speed limit goes from 40 to 55 mph, partway up the hill and just approaching 55 it lost power and speed. I backed off and got back into it and behaved fine for a few days. I tried to reproduce, but it ran fine. Then on the coldest day so far this season between 15 and 20 degrees F it did it again but died and would not restart, I had it fully warmed. I had to walk about a mile and a half, but I had a hot coffee. My fuel gauge is way off, I use the trip odometer and fill the tank to track fuel, I had been warming it up in the mornings while clearing snow/frost, I suspected low fuel and a need for drygas. Added drygas and 5 gal gas and it started later in the day when it was warmer, above freezing, then I filled the tank it was lower than I expected but not below 1/8 tank. It had not died again, but the power loss was coming on more frequently, definitely more fuel starvation, than plugged cat.

I worked through some troubleshooting to finally arrive at bypassing the only fuel line I had not replaced (the one up front in the subframe channel). Now on the way there I had decided to reinstall the BBD and DYI HEI. I had those installed before, but never had the chance to final tune the setup. I had also never did a final electrical connect, instead running a wire diagonally across the engine with a battery clip (anti-theft). I found the circuit I needed and it was the blue wire nearby at the voltage regulator or the factory ignition coil. I tapped the factory coil wire. So, the lean burn is deleted and there is an improvement in idle and general drivability.

But the main problem remained. I even considered a torque converter or transmission issue but fluid was fine, stall test was good, and it didn't really seem like slippage.

I used flexible line from where the factory flex connected, but brought it all the way up along the inner fender temporarily. Problem went away. I will be putting in hard line when I get the chance.

Just thought I'd fill everybody in and document for those who may have a similar issue.

Back