need help with sure grip rebuild

G code Jockey

Reaction score
for a winter project i picked up an 8 3/4 clutch type sure grip unit off of craigslist. given the unknown origin i wanted to give it a complete rebuild. when i got it apart the clutches and plates had HEAVY galling. However all the other parts looked good. a trip the the parts washer confirmed that there was only very light rust spots on a few places from sitting. so i knocked the rust off with a wire wheel and got a mopar performance clutch kit. now i have begun the rebuild process, making sure that the plates went in in the correct orientation. i saw a tip that said to put an axle in each side to make sure the 2 sets of spline line up for assembly. i did this then hand tightened to 2 halves together and recheck. the axles wouldn't seat fully. so i loosen the case halves and put the axles back in through both splined parts on each side. i stand the whole assembly up-right. i can then lift and lower the sure grip to make sure everything is seated and not binding. i then tighten the case halves together. now both axles are locked solid into the sure grip unit. so now i split the difference. i loosen all the bolts and start tightening in quarter turns each round, making sure the axles move. now they are stuck and the case isn't near closed. i did center punch both halves and they are lined up. anybody have any ideas?

volare 77

Reaction score
I have never had a 8 3/4 sure grip apart only a cone 8 1/4 so i don`t know much about your problem. But I do remember my father inlaw having a issue like that with a 8 3/4 and he had smacked the axles with a hammer and they finally went in and out ok. It had been so long ago I don`t really remember exactly. Sorry I couldn`t be of more help. BTW, not telling to do that but I just shared what I remember.

volare 77

Reaction score
Ok Cool , good to know. Now you can give us advice when we need to do one.

G code Jockey

Reaction score
ok, will do. i consider it a warm-up. i have to do a 742 with new gears, bearings, and sure grip rebuild. for the price of the kit i won't fell right not cracking the case open to check the clutches.

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
The FSM (about '64 model year I think) talk about specifically turning/rotating the axle shafts as the case bolts are being tightened. I suspect this is done to correctly alight the splines, see the FSM copy/paste below.

Also, to confuse things further there were two combinations of the 'side gear' & 'side gear retainer' parts. Normally if these are two piece with splines in each part you have to align the splines. That was the situation in my '741 housing.

However, the '742 casing I build this past summer used a 'deep' side gear which had a one piece construction and the splines were machined continuously, which meant, no need to align things, you just worry about getting the clutch-pack discs aligned. (still a PITA if you ask, but a smaller problem at least)

Also remember, the clutch pack mounts a specific way, the curved Belville plates have to be positioned a certain way. The MP clutch-pack kit instructions show you the details.

FSM Assembly Instrutions
==================
(1) Position the clutch plates and discs in their proper location in each half of the case, as shown in Figure 41.
(2) Place the side gears in their retainers. Insert splines of the retainers through the splines of the clutch discs.
(3) Place the aligning pin through one axle shaft thrust spacer. Assemble the pinion shafts on aligning pin.
(4) Place the pinion gears on shafts and install the assembly on the drive gear half of the case. Insert the thrust spacer in the pinion shaft (Fig. 42).
(5) Slide the cap half of case over the edge of bench far enough to insert one finger up through the assembly to hold it together. Place the assembly
on the drive gear half, matching the scribe marks.
(6) Make sure the markings on each differential case half coincide. Install the differential case bolts and turn them in a few threads.
(7) Insert the axle shafts from the vehicle to align the splines. Make sure the axle shafts engage the

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
You can attach a PDF file – but it shows up on lower portion of post (and not as a picture).

I attached a PDF for example (but not one applicable to the above question).
BudW

Attachments

• 77 FSM 3-22.pdf
    535.6 KB · Views: 396

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
You got it!

Question: from what year / model is your PDF file from?
BudW

Back