need reference on where the transmission should sit in relation to the firewall

72Dodge

Reaction score
I'm finally working full speed ahead on the Mirada. Got the 727 transmission roughed into place, but now I'm second guessing myself because I don't want to do this twice... thing is heavy especially since I'm working alone!

I'm using a custom tubular trans crossbrace (with a stock mount), hence, I cannot just reference a manual or photos for how it goes. However, I think I have it in the orientation it's intended.

So the question: Where should the front of the trans housing sit in relation to the firewall? Slightly in front of it, level, or a little behind it, actually a little into the tunnel? Right now, it's slightly in FRONT of the firewall and if I measure for the length of the engine, it doesn't look like a fan will fit with the radiator, so I don't think that's right. If I put it back any farther, it seems like it might be hard to get the transmission-to-engine bolts in (but I can figure that out if need be).

And I can't measure the driveshaft, because I don't have one yet, will have to get a custom one made once the rest of the drivetrain is in.

So... anyone got any advice or photos or measurements? I can post a pic of what I have if that would help.

72Dodge

Reaction score
As I raised it up, I realized it was WAY too far forward, so I'm moving the custom trans mount to the BACK of the frame rail instead of in front, which should push it back about 3 inches. I think that should be closer.

Still wanting some guidance though, before I put this thing into final position! :)

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Don't you have a factory trans crossmember? If not, I'm sure someone here has one.

72Dodge

Reaction score
No, I don't. If I can make this one work, I'm fine with it, so long as it positions everything correctly. It was used in the car before, so it should work, so long as I mount it right. If all else fails, I can get a factory one, but my goal is to get this engine mounted in place by next Tuesday (my last day off of work), so I really want to make this work, and like I said, there's no reason it shouldn't.

Can someone look at their running car and tell me how far back it's mounted? Please? :)

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Just checked mine. It looks like the front surface of the bellhousing is about .5 inch in front of the firewall.

72Dodge

Reaction score
Just checked mine. It looks like the front surface of the bellhousing is about .5 inch in front of the firewall.

THANK YOU!!!!!! I think I got it right now. At least I'll know for sure once I get it all the way up into place. I have about an inch of adjustment on the motor mount itself too, so should be able to get it in place tomorrow, then I can lower the engine in and install the motor plate. Cookin' with gas now!

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Yay!! I know how exciting it is when things start going together!

72Dodge

Reaction score
Yeah, I give up. This custom tubular thing isn't working for some reason. I just posted a want ad for a factory one. I wish I had done this weeks ago, because now this puts my progress behind. Oh well. Onward and upward!

Back