Need Some Measurements

Mroldart2u

Reaction score
As stated I need some measurements, and I know there is going to be a variance due to tire sizing, but that being said I need a ground to fender lip measurement, as my Volare has had the "rake" treatment done, but it seems to be WAY lower than it was. It bottoms pretty easily and would like to 'start over'. I didnt lower the car to start with but would like to get back to stock height and start over. I believe the tires on it now are 205/75-14's. So anyone have any idea how to set one back to stock, and what/where the measurement is taken? Thanks..

Erics5th

Reaction score
Turning the adjusting bolts clolckwise will raise the front up, counter-clockwise will lower. Remember, the bolts for adjusting the torsion bars are on the opposite sides of the car, ie the left nut adjusts the right side, right nut adjusts the left. I know on M body's the measurement (I think) is from the front subframe retaining nut to the ground...or maybe its the sub frame itself. Anyway, as long as its adjusted within 1/8" of each other, your fine where ever you decide to measure from. Make sure you use some WD40 or your favorite penitrating oil on the threads before you start turning the bolts. And a breaker bar will give you some leverage. And on a level surface. Thats all I can think of for now...

slant6billy

Reaction score
You didn't mention the chin spoiler, so I'll assume you do not have it and when you state bottom out, you refer to the front cross member and other lower components. I look at the bottom of the bumperettes and front license plate (if you have one). Driveway entrances / aprons and street variations at intersections should have 4 inches from the lower front (furthest forward) point. My lowered Ram has scratches on the under side of the front license plate bracket, so I realize that less than 4 inches of clearance at driveway entrances is a bad thing. Another formula is your outside wheel diameter. Measuring from the center of the hub, you should get twice the diameter to the point forward where things will come into contact with your car. Again, just some recommendations. I know Eric here gave me measurements a few months ago from the bottom of his chin spoiler. About 8 inches was his answer (I think). So try that.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
If anyone has a factory service manual, it should say where to measure from and what the measurement is.

Erics5th

Reaction score
I have a '84 service manual, but he has 14" rims, and the measurements I have are for M's with 15" wheels. Could be different.

Mroldart2u

Reaction score
Any pics of it lowered?

Its the car in my signature, but can post a full on side shot.... But I need the girl too...:icon_razz:

Forgot about having one already on photobucket..
Picture026.jpg

Last edited:

Mroldart2u

Reaction score
Well I am planning on lifting it back up a 2 full inches and go from there. Guess the original ride height isnt a real well known measurement. I also think, that the tires that are on the car are possibly one size larger than factory stock size. I am uncertain of this but by the appearance it seems so. I dont have access to the vehicle right now so I am unsure of what it is tho. ( I am out of town )

Mroldart2u

Reaction score
Are the back tires really smaller. Either it's a bad pic or they are.

Ummm Hmmm actually dont think they are. I think that maybe that pic was taken when it still had the old bias ply spare on it... But I will get tire sizes when i get back to Amarillo. I do know that the spare is a size smaller than the radials that are on the car.. I am thinking the tire size is 205/75R14 thats on it now and the bias is 195/75X14.

Back