Never Ceases to Amaze me

rcmaniac791

Reaction score
So I just wrapped up a road-trip to Louisville, KY, putting just under 1000 miles on the 5th. Me and an buddy of mine went out there for an expo. 6 hour trip one way for me, plus all the driving around the city.

When I first got the car, it would surge on the highway, ping, the steering was shot, suspension shot, and was scary to get above 45 mph. once it wasn't bad, I never really knew when it was going to quit on me; problems were inevitable.

But now, through all the parts, time, and labor, I have the ULTIMATE highway cruiser. My buddy didn't know how good the 5th was, didn't quite believe in it. But after 1000 miles, It's his new favorite car. We did 70-75 MPH through the mountains of West Virginia.........all while getting 25 MPG, and I never even had to add oil! Incredible!

I've had this thing 3 years, and I've got to say: Chrysler, you've done good with this one.

Master M

Reaction score
In proper care they are one helluva vehicle. Glad to hear of your safe and trouble free cruise.

Cambo

Reaction score
You are right, they are great highway cruisers!
Your story sounds very similar to mine, I am just starting to make all these repairs. It will be nice to cruise around without the fear of lean burn or other things leaving me on the side of the road.

lowbudget

Reaction score
My 87 was done with cruising in comfort in mind. My long trip has been 1500 miles round trip to see a concert. I have to fine tune the newest carb over days off but it will probably see another 1500 miles over the holidays

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
2.22's means I cruise at 85-90mph no problem ;) It's definitely a hilarious look on most peoples faces when I rocket by them in this Granny Fresh Mobile.
2016-10-04 14.46.24.jpg

rcmaniac791

Reaction score
Dude, I love your spare tire. It really does eat up a good amount of trunk space in mine

rcmaniac791

Reaction score
Hahahahahahaha well it works, because it totally stumped me!

LSM360

Reaction score
Back in the day when I had a civi with a 318-2bbl with the 2.2's it cruised nice, but it seemed to be straining a bit at highway speeds. What a huge help when I opened up the exhaust by eliminating the cats and putting on dual exhausts. No loud mufflers or headers, just dual exhausts, full length mufflers with stock manifolds. BIG help, if you can do it in your state.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
My ’86 5th Ave strains a lot (on take offs and cruising).

Matter of fact I have been driving it when I shouldn’t be. The muffler and tailpipe rusted to pieces and both fell off – so been driving it without either. The car is just as quiet now as it ever has been – which I feel is from the stopped up catalytic converters.

I found and obtained a used cat-less Y-pipe and exhaust system from an ’80 Aspen wagon to install . . . but hadn’t gotten to it yet.

Yes, I know – get the exhaust fixed before it kills off the few remaining brain cells I have remaining . . .

Back