New member first post Chrysler 5th ave.

Master M

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have been getting help here over the past few months, and It's time to say THANK YOU .
I have been Mopar oriented for years, and these M cars had just escaped me. Searching local want ads I came across an ad for a 5th ave.
When the picture popped onto the screen It hit me all at once. What a stunning car Chrysler had created. I immediately called the number and went to have a look. Disappointed at the overall condition and removal of factory original equipment, I passed on it. Over the next few months
I came across the one you see here ( as long as I uploaded pictures correctly ). It's a 1988 Chrysler 5th Ave. It has 31,000 orig. miles. I had to buy it sight unseen as it was out of state. I had an inspection service look at it before buying.( that's a whole other story). The good news is the buyer was completely upfront with everything. When the car arrived It looked way better than pictures, and the transport guy left me his number wanting 1st chance at it, should I decide to sell. ( Yeah right !!! ). I have been working hard to get this car as close to a new one as I can. It runs and rides like the stunning luxury car it was designed to be. Hope you like the pic's.

Chrysler 5th front view 10-2014.jpg

Chrysler 5th rear.jpg

Chrysler 5th engine 10-2014.jpg

Chrysler 5th interior front driver.jpg

Chrysler 5th rear pass side 10-2014.jpg

Chrysler opera lamp photo no flash.jpg

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Welcome aboard!
Stunning Fifth indeed!
Love the wheel covers too.
Those look like the luminescent replacements in your opera lights.
Very nice!

Master M

Reaction score
Thanks, Captain. Those are the luminescent replacements. They are too blue compared to the originals for my taste, but I could not find true white anywhere. What a nice collection you have !!

slant6billy

Reaction score
What is the color in the interior? I thought that exterior would have had a red or black or dark grey. Is it camel/ tan?

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Thanks, Captain. Those are the luminescent replacements. They are too blue compared to the originals for my taste, but I could not find true white anywhere. What a nice collection you have !!

Thank you Sir.
You're on your way to having a nice collection yourself.
They're addictive you know.....
The luminescents are a bit on the blue side but all things considered I'm just happy we can get any descent replacements at all.
And they do seem brighter than the originals which isn't bad.
Hopefully they'll offer a more off white at some point which is closer to the original.

And welcome again.
It's like one stop service for our type of cars here for both parts and advice.

Master M

Reaction score
The interior is a tan color. I haven't checked to see what Chrysler named the interior or exterior colors.

Mr C

Reaction score
Nice car- needs whitewalls!

The colour was called "Light Pewter Metallic". Interior colour, "Taupe".

Ask how I know :). Mine is an 89.

7535_100116846677008_4076507_n.jpg

7535_100116843343675_3846067_n.jpg

DCAspen

Reaction score
Wow,That car is in beautiful condition,nice score.

Master M

Reaction score
Thanks, You certainly have excellent taste in what you drive. I agree with the whitewalls. Before I got the car a few months ago it just had a new set of 4 tires installed. Why they went with black walls who knows.
If I could trade the black wall tires straight up for new whitewalls I would. Looking on the internet, I have not seen many with this color combination.

Mr C

Reaction score
Thanks! How did you replace the electroluminescent opera lights? The drivers side just blew on my 89. Any chance of doing a "How to" article for us?

Master M

Reaction score
I replaced the luminescent strips very carefully. I would be happy to do a " How I did it " with help from a friend. I'll need some time for both of us to write it all out. You can get started by going on Ebay and buy 2 of auction number 231386281131. It should be $14.04 for 2 of them. Make sure you select white and inverter power. They are directly from China, and take a couple of weeks to get. If you don't want to buy from China directly, you can take the specs of it and buy elsewhere knowing they got it from China anyway. I already tried that. A couple things upfront I noticed. The strips have a light pinky/salmon color to them when not on in the daylight. When they are turned on they are a light blue, not pure white. They are nice and bright at night though. The camera flash makes them look whiter than they really are. It is a really inexpensive fix for the results. We did this 3 months ago with no notes taken, We will test out our recall.....

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Even with the blueish tint it's nice to see them lit up.
The old ones just continually fade to pretty much nothing.

gray07

Reaction score
Welcome to the site, that is a beautifull car.

Monkeyed

Reaction score
I replaced the luminescent strips very carefully. I would be happy to do a " How I did it " with help from a friend. I'll need some time for both of us to write it all out. You can get started by going on Ebay and buy 2 of auction number 231386281131. It should be $14.04 for 2 of them. Make sure you select white and inverter power. They are directly from China, and take a couple of weeks to get. If you don't want to buy from China directly, you can take the specs of it and buy elsewhere knowing they got it from China anyway. I already tried that. A couple things upfront I noticed. The strips have a light pinky/salmon color to them when not on in the daylight. When they are turned on they are a light blue, not pure white. They are nice and bright at night though. The camera flash makes them look whiter than they really are. It is a really inexpensive fix for the results. We did this 3 months ago with no notes taken, We will test out our recall.....

Ordered 2. I was tempted for a while there to get the aqua ones, but ended up getting white. I can probably start a thread on replacing them once they arrive. Did you guys cut them down for length?

alf44

Reaction score
my lights never worked on my 5th but took the whole panel off anyways

alf44

Reaction score
i think that style of stearing wheel would look good in my volare in blue or black

Master M

Reaction score
Ordered 2. I was tempted for a while there to get the aqua ones, but ended up getting white. I can probably start a thread on replacing them once they arrive. Did you guys cut them down for length?
I have most of the info ready to post for the opera lamp replacement I did. Yes you have to cut them to length.

gporeilly

Reaction score
Please refer to my forum thread "Fifth Avenue Electroluminescent Side Marker Lights" for details on my side marker replacement on my 1988 5th Ave , as well as a place to buy the correct size EL strips with eliminates the need to measure and cut.

Back