New member from PA, guess I'll keep the car

Frantz

Reaction score
Greetings all. Last March a 79 Lebaron Coupe with 18k miles was traded into my dealership so I picked it up for $2k. I enjoyed it as a driver over summer and considered selling in spring, but I think I'll continue to enjoy it on the road. I am considering doing some mild upgrades to boost performance, but the 318 runs fine now, and I have plenty of other project cars that could use the money. Up to 22k miles, and taking a drive to Haggerstown MD tomorrow for a weekend trip!!

1979Lebaron.jpg

slant6billy

Reaction score
Welcome. I'm over in SNJ. Where in PA, Phila perhaps?

Frantz

Reaction score
Lewisberry. In northern York county. Car was living in Philly before I had it though.

Frantz

Reaction score
Cornering lights are dummies, not sure on the mirrors, it's possible they aren't originals. I know some repainting was done, but not sure how much. Hub caps are incorrect for my car, but I think they look good (some curb rash one them though). I'll have to check vin sequence, but I know it's H code for pricing.

Frantz

Reaction score
Cloth seats, AC (works!), 318 2 bbl w 3 spd auto, 7 1/4 rear, AM/FM (no clock).

I always like telling people that driving my car lets you know what moderate success felt like during the Carter years. Of course, I'm only 31, so what do I know.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
If the date of manufacture is on your driver's door, let me know.

I might be one of the better guys on the net that knows 79 mint green Lebarons.
I've had mine since 97.
I'm sure I have old pics of yours.

You can check your data plate to see if the sport mirrors are original.
I think they are.

Frantz

Reaction score
haha, I'll have to check data plate. I was told the car was from Fl, and then lived in Philla. The guy traded it in on my day off for a Miata for his wife, so he could get a c7 vette. I was told about it right away, being an old car guy, but didn't think I'd want it as I assumed it was a 4 door. Then I saw it the next day and said "sold". Not sure why no one else picked it up. I found previous pictures of it before as well, it was for sale as Carlisle last year and folks over on Allpar recognized it from online sales as well. I knew it wasn't worth much when I got it as a collectible, and my intention was just to drive and enjoy it in nice weather and use it for some drive in shows. I'll probably just take a ton of pictures of everything before doing some mods and keeping it. I have other cars that can be stupid fast, this one I just want respectable.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
I know most other SG4 79 Lebarons too.

I got mine for $300 plus 10% buyers free, plus tax for a total of $352 in 1997.
Texas car to boot.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
If you do some wrenching and have original parts, check the date codes on the parts.

I bet it's a 78 that didn't sell and rebadged a 79 by the factory.

Chrysler dumped that color mid model yr.
Early 79 brochures show SG4, later ones don't.

Now the Q is, why is a late build 79 painted an early 'dumped' color?
The interior goes with it.

greyghost

Reaction score
Welcome Frantz! My brother had taken the hub caps from his '79 Cordoba after he put aftermarket wheels on and put them on the LeBaron. They were on the car when he sold it to me and they are identical to the caps on your '79. I like the black steelies on mine though and the hub caps are in the basement. My door mirrors are the same as Dr LeBarons but the mirror on the passenger door is missing and the original owner filled the holes with a bit of filler and dabbed on touch-up paint. I've been looking for a mirror to put on the car but I'm afraid I may have to buy a pair of matching mirrors. Your sport mirrors look good in the picture. I'll re-post pics of my '79. Once again, Welcome Frantz!

LeBaron3 8.14.JPG
LeBaron4 8.14.jpg
LeBaron1 8.14.jpg

LeBaron3 8.14.JPG

LeBaron4 8.14.jpg

LeBaron1 8.14.jpg

gray07

Reaction score
Sweet looking cars, I haven't seen one of these around here in probally 10 years. or more

Back