New member seeks a Holley 2280 for partial LeanBurn delete

Dippy Daddy

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I joined ForFMJBodiesOnly in April 2021 and I guess I never used it again. At that time I had an '84 Diplomat with about 200,000 miles and she was running great until I ran it out of coolant in October '21 on the interstate and she was never the same again. I don't know if I cracked the block or the heads or what, but I just looked for another car.

I got lucky and found an '86 Fifth Avenue with 130,000 miles, which I've been daily-driving since. Very happy with it, but she's giving the signs of a dying LeanBurn, so I'm going to install an Edelbrock intake and Eddie carb that were on the Diplomat. I already have a good distributor out of a 1974 318 and an MSD 6-series box that I'll swap out of the Diplomat.

But it'll take some time to make this all happen, and I wonder if anyone has a plain old Holley 2280 carb they'd like to sell, so I can keep driving in the meantime. I'm near Cleveland Ohio, so shipping would be to zip code 44122.

Many Thanks.

slant six

Reaction score
I have 2 or 3 of those 2280's - all are core carbs and would need rebuilt.

Message me and see if we can work something out.

Thanks!

Dippy Daddy

Reaction score
Hey Slant Six,

Thanks for the reply. Of course I want a core I know'll work, more-o-less complete, so I presume you've got something like that. Can you send a few photos?

Thanks,
Scot

Dippy Daddy

Reaction score
Okay, that'll be great, thanks. Are you in Northeast Ohio by any chance? If so I can pick up one of the carbs and pay you in person. Just let me know.

slant six

Reaction score
Irwin Pa, Near Pittsburgh PA, Off I $eventy 6.

Dippy Daddy

Reaction score
That's hilarious, we were just in Pittsburgh with our kids for the holiday weekend! We stayed at a Red Roof Inn in Monroeville, probably ten or twelve miles from you! Hey, I noticed your moniker is Slant Six -- would your Holley carbs be set up for a slant six or a V8? I need a carb for my 318. Thanks.

slant six

Reaction score
I am 7 miles from the red roof.
these are all 318 carbs that's why I no longer need them :)

Steven Schupp

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I joined ForFMJBodiesOnly in April 2021 and I guess I never used it again. At that time I had an '84 Diplomat with about 200,000 miles and she was running great until I ran it out of coolant in October '21 on the interstate and she was never the same again. I don't know if I cracked the block or the heads or what, but I just looked for another car.

I got lucky and found an '86 Fifth Avenue with 130,000 miles, which I've been daily-driving since. Very happy with it, but she's giving the signs of a dying LeanBurn, so I'm going to install an Edelbrock intake and Eddie carb that were on the Diplomat. I already have a good distributor out of a 1974 318 and an MSD 6-series box that I'll swap out of the Diplomat.

But it'll take some time to make this all happen, and I wonder if anyone has a plain old Holley 2280 carb they'd like to sell, so I can keep driving in the meantime. I'm near Cleveland Ohio, so shipping would be to zip code 44122.

Many Thanks.
Do you still have the 84 Diplomat? I am looking for a parts car. I have 2 complete 5th ave header panels with grilles and other parts I could partial trade toward the car? I am also in Ohio

Dippy Daddy

Reaction score
Hello Steven,

In fact I do have the '84 Dip, and am pulling parts off of it for my '86 Fifth Avenue. I'm taking the 8.25-inch rear end & driveshaft out of it in a month or two, so it'll have no rear axle when I'm done. I already took off the Edelbrock intake & carb and the distributor, coil & MSD box. I'll be taking the speedo out of it (just a plain 85-MPH stock civilian speedo) and a few other things. But the body's pretty complete. I also plan to take out the alternator, radiator, shroud and clutch fan.

Are you still interested? Just let me know.

Thanks.

Back