kkritsilas

Reaction score
Hi,

My name is Kostas Kritsilas, and I have recently (a week and a half ago) bought a 1982 Mirada. Car needs a lot of work, but it didn't cost much, and its in decent shape for a 30 year old car. It has 207,000 KM (120,000-130,000 miles) on it. It is a blue exterior/blue interior base model, power windows (that don't work on the driver's side), power door locks, power seats, and the "semi-automatic" air conditioner). Car starts and runs fine, but I can't drive it around yet, as it doesn't have license plates as of the moment.

Just thought I would introduce myself, and my new (to me) car.

Kostas

Last edited:

CMX360

Reaction score
Welcome. Take lots of pretty pictures and good luck on your new project.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
This is what I have for pictures right now. They are from my iPhone. Should give an idea of what the car is about, although I never considered myself a good photographer.

Kostas

mirada.JPG

mirada2.jpg

mirada3.JPG

mirada4.jpg

mirada5.jpg

CMX360

Reaction score
Looks like its got some rot in the door and quarter. Also looks like someone blacked out the grille / opera window mouldings and moved the Mirada nameplate lower on the fender. Very nicely optioned though. When you said it was a base model I was expecting a real plain jane. Looks like your quarter extensions are in one piece! Be very gentle with those.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I don't know if the grill chrome was blacked out, or if the chrome was sandblasted off. We have a lot of grit that blows through this part of the world, and it is entirely possible that the "chrome", if it was of the chromed plastic type, has just been worn away over time. The side windoww have chrome with a rubber strip that fits against the glass; I don't know if the "opera windows" are supposed to have chrome or be blacked out.

What I would like to do, is to get the car registered (here, I need to have it inspected, before I can get insurance, and I need insurance before I can get it registered. As it currently sits, the windshield is cracked, so it will not pass inspection until I can find a replacement windshield). I will then get the interior straightened out, replace the window rubber (beltline molding/rubber around the fixed side windows and opera windows. After I get all of that done, the car will be re-painted (factory color), and the rust will be addressed at that time.

Long term, I am thinking of replacing the 318-2V with either hot rodded 360, or a mild big block. That is very long term, though.

Kostas

Last edited:

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Thanks for all the welcomes.

The windows trim around the "opera windows" has been painted flat black. I tried scraping off the paint with a thumb nail, and it comes off pretty easy. The horizontal slats on the grille are also painted black, but that seems harder to remove. In addition, the front of the car, below the grille, has been painted black as well, which is also not correnct. Lastly, the ribbed chorme band that goes over the top of the car and down the sail panels on each side, in front of the "opera windows' is body colored on one side, and black on the other side. I will assume that it is to be body colored. Somebody in the past got realy busy with the flat black paing. I don't really know why somebody woudl do that (must have been a late 80s-90s thing), but it is what it is. I will be taking off the flat black paint where I can, and leave the rest until it gets to the body shop.

CMX360, thanks for taking the time to let me know.

Kostas

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Welcome. Cool car, that blue is my favorite color on these cars.

mirada80

Reaction score
Hey there, nice Mirada, I think they look great in that blue, and without the 1/4vinyl top. It seems to be optioned decent with the pw, pl, ac and cornering lights, not sure what all that packaged contained though. Looks like a fairly solid car, keep us posted. Great to see another Canadian on here.

Back