New Mustang Plays Fake Engine Noise

aspen77rt

Reaction score
Pretty lame Ford.

New Mustang Plays Fake Engine Noise
When Road & Track’s Jason Cammisa busted a fuse during a recent drive of the 2015 Ford Mustang EcoBoost, he discovered something odd. Both the engine and the stereo went silent inside the car.

It appears that the vaunted Ford Mustang – “the original pony car,” according to Jalopnik – has succumbed to piping in enhanced engine noise through the speakers.

Autoblog investigated further, speaking to Ford engineer Shawn Carney who revealed that the engine-sound augmenting system is called “Active Noise Control,” and that only the turbocharged four-cylinder Mustang comes with it. The system both enhances noise and cancels out some coarse noise.

“[The system] layer in certain sound characteristics on top of what’s already there,” Carney told Autoblog. “The intent is to be a natural experience.”

The United Kingdom’s Car Magazine made mention of the sound-enhancing system last year, Jalopnik reports, although it did not receive much attention at the time.

“With the Ecoboost engine we have both active noise cancellation, and we also amplify the existing engine sound order,” Mustang Chief Engineer Dave Perciak told Car Magazine last December. “We don’t create an artificial sound, we don’t pluck one off the shelf, we bring in the real sound, process it, and play it through the car’s speakers.”

As auto-manufacturers strive to comply with stricter fuel economy and emissions standards, they are increasingly relying on engine downsizing and turbocharging, which means a massively downgraded engine sound. As more manufacturers find themselves in this conundrum, engine-sound augmentation may become the new normal.

http://dailydigestnews.com/2014/09/report-ford-mustang-ecoboost-fakes-some-engine-noise/

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/09/24/ford-mustang-ecoboost-fake-engine-soundtrack/

Monkeyed

Reaction score
that is equal parts the saddest and funniest thing I've seen all day.....

jasperjacko

Reaction score
That reminds me of when I was a kid, I would put baseball cards in the spokes of my bike......Lame is an understatement. I just roll the windows down to hear performance. lol

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
One of the stupidest features I have EVER heard of...I really dont have anything more clever to say about it..its just pointless and dumb...enhanced engine noise WOW! I agree baseball cards in the bicycle spokes...lame

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I've heard they're not the only cars to do it.
Virtual engine.....no thanks.
I'll stay old school and listen to the real deal.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Apparently the latest developments in engine sound technology have reverted back to the childhood trick of sticking a baseball card in your wheel.....it worked then and according to leading non Mopar manufacturers...it works now.

To make sure there is no confusion between regular and high performance editions they've come up with this simple visual guide to help consumers.....

meme2820580611.jpg

meme5757802503.jpg

Monkeyed

Reaction score
I wonder if there's a way to modify it to make it sound like someone making racecar noises with their lips..

Back