New to the M-body

TheSkunk

Reaction score
hey guys I just recently picked up this 2dr 78 LeBaron believe it’s a medallion for a steal. Being new to the m-body I have some questions that may come of newbish lol.
First question: are all m body platform parts interchangeable? Suspension and brakes and such? Like Ik late 60s darts and early 70s darts share very similar parts and can interchange without much headache. Is this the same with the m body?

Second question: is there any aftermarket support for these cars? I’m in need of window seals and a trunk seal but am having a hard time finding anything.

And lastly:what are ppl doing for headers and linkages when swapping to a 4brl? I had a 305 awhile back that responded amazingly to a dual plane intake, eddy carb, vacuum advanced dizzy, and long tubes and am hoping the same for this car.

02397E50-C10E-4BCD-9E45-CCA6C64CC565.jpeg

Duke5A

Reaction score
Is that a survivor car? Looks great.

Interchangeability between in the F/J/M platform is probably better than any other Mopar produced. All the suspension and steering will swap between all three body styles through the entire run, 76 to 89.

Aftermarket support though is lacking compared to the muscle car era stuff. You can find seals and whatnot, but it isn't easy. Still pretty good aftermarket support for suspension and chassis. Firm Feel has a very big selection of parts for these cars and some of the parts that were designed for the older stuff will swap in.

Hooker does produce headers for these cars, but three of the pipes on the driver's side hang low under the steering link and it's pretty easy to bang them up on the ground. Schumacher makes pricey, but nice headers that don't.

TheSkunk

Reaction score
Awesome so then basically any thing for a 78-79 f/j/m will swap rather easily?

Guess I’ll just look harder for the seals then

And I saw that. I’m used to header clearance issues and such. I was curious then if headers for say a 78 f body would work no one tends to list the m body play fourm

TheSkunk

Reaction score
And thanks I don’t know him any owners it’s had but has stayed original down to the lean burn system there is very little rust at all on the car I’m pleased for the purchase price lol

Aspen500

Reaction score
If you convert to a 4 brl, you'll also need to switch to a regular electronic ignition. It's a fairly easy swap. Stay away from the current Mopar distributor though, I've heard they're made in China and are of questionable quality.
As mentioned, the Schumacher headers are excellent (I have them on my big block Aspen) if you can get past the price. Expensive but worth it (IMO).

'76-'89 F/M/J suspension, steering and drivetrain are the same, body and interior of course, are different for the most part with some exceptions.

The window roof rail seals can be had from Metro Molded and are fairly good, except the rear upper corners. Steele has door opening seals and, unless they changed something in the past few years, the quality was not real good, The molded end caps are (were) horrible. I ended up finding NOS door seals and paying the price (ouch) but they work much better. F and M 2 door use the same seals, glass and doors. Looks like Steele has roof rail strips now, also.

Metro Moulded Parts ~ Top Quality Automotive Weatherstripping and Rubber Parts

Search Results

Small Block Tri-Y Headers

Before I forget, excellent looking car!

Last edited:

TheSkunk

Reaction score
Thanks aspen! I’m hoping to make it a nice driver just have some little odds and ends to put together for it.
Big thanks for everyone’s help I was hoping you guys were half as good as FABO lol and you guys are just as good I think mopar ppl are mopar ppl no matter the platform!

Camtron

Reaction score
F body headers work, A body headers work too. Lokar, accelerator and kick down cables are esthetically pleasing and are really effective/efficient and make for pretty user friendly installation for a 4barrel swap.
Welcome.

TheSkunk

Reaction score
I have heard rumors e body headers fit tighter (don’t hang down as low) does anyone have any proof if they work or don’t? Guy locally has a set for sale for a fair price.

Back