New Volare Mom

VolareMom

Reaction score
Hello! VolareMom here and I'm hoping to get some help on a new project I acquired.
A couple years ago, I came across a 1978 Plymouth Volare with a For Sale sign on the side of the road.
I felt overly drawn to it, and my amazing husband purchased it for me as a Xmas gift.
I have slowly been working on it, but I've ran into some struggles as there is no owner's manual.
It also seems that not a lot of people have knowledge of repair/tune up on older vehicles.
I purchased a Chilton's Repair & Tune-Up Guide, and that has helped some, however the year on the book isn't far off from the car.
So, hoping others here can help me with my search in repairing, tuning up, and replacing parts to my new-to-me Volare.
Thanks & happy hunting to all. :)
~VolareMom

InkedResized_20191106_064611_6168294823530_LI.jpg

VolareMom

Reaction score
I didn't know you could purchase them on CD. Thank you for the link. I tried to purchase a Haynes Repair Manual twice and they cancelled my order both times. Found Chilton's and figured definitely better than nothing.

69-

Reaction score
Take the Service Manual as suggested, much better IMHO.
Additionally, the Parts book (usually available at places like detroit iron or faxon autoliterature) give some inside with their exploded views (and part numbers).

And of course welcome! More women, more good for our hobby. :)

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
Nice ride, it`s got some potential!

So what the guys suggested is very nice, heck, having a PDF that you can search and print out whatever you need or want is a marvelous feature.

Now, you can also certainly score a FSM on eBay...they come up all the time, some will be a bit shaggy, but occasionally you`ll find a nearly mint one. I`ve got a 1980 FSM here that`s still in the factory plastic wrap. What makes this approach appealing to some is the fact that as you are browsing and paging through it, ideas will start popping to your head, you start understanding the whole vehicle and the platform...comes in handy when something else breaks down eventually and you can easily spot the darn thing.

Also, for what it`s worth, I have the PDFs themselves here (for multiple years). Huge files though and I really have no way to share then readily...

VolareMom

Reaction score
Take the Service Manual as suggested, much better IMHO.
Additionally, the Parts book (usually available at places like detroit iron or faxon autoliterature) give some inside with their exploded views (and part numbers).

And of course welcome! More women, more good for our hobby. :)

The service manual would be a great thing to have. Chilton's also has some great diagrams included in its pages that have been a definite help so far.
Side note: Even women love nice cars. Just not all of them want to be under the hood of one. :cool:

VolareMom

Reaction score
Nice ride, it`s got some potential!

So what the guys suggested is very nice, heck, having a PDF that you can search and print out whatever you need or want is a marvelous feature.

Now, you can also certainly score a FSM on eBay...they come up all the time, some will be a bit shaggy, but occasionally you`ll find a nearly mint one. I`ve got a 1980 FSM here that`s still in the factory plastic wrap. What makes this approach appealing to some is the fact that as you are browsing and paging through it, ideas will start popping to your head, you start understanding the whole vehicle and the platform...comes in handy when something else breaks down eventually and you can easily spot the darn thing.

Also, for what it`s worth, I have the PDFs themselves here (for multiple years). Huge files though and I really have no way to share then readily...
Thank you! :) I thought so too.
Love classic cars and it gave me spooky vibes which I love! <3

Ebay is actually where I scored my Chilton's. I was so excited when I found it. After 2 attempts before to get a Haynes repair manual and failing. I've read it just for fun at this point, trying to get a better idea of the vehicle itself and how everything operates together. Looking up any info online kept leaving me dead-ended. I'm very glad I found this forum & I figure anything I'm not 100 about I can run past fellow owners on here.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I second the paper service manual, much easier to use but also much harder to come by than the CD.

Those Haynes and Chilton's manuals aren't a whole lot of help, other than the basic things.

VolareMom

Reaction score
I second the paper service manual, much easier to use but also much harder to come by than the CD.

Those Haynes and Chilton's manuals aren't a whole lot of help, other than the basic things.
I hear you. My thought is to at least start with the basics. Then I can expand from that.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I have a factory shop manual for a 1976 Volare, I'd give it up but it was a freinds dads. He had a new wagon that he drove until he passed in 2010 or so. My Volare has nothing stock but the body so I have no use for it. There is quite a bit on the quadrajet that I might use someday.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Welcome! Cool car, and great that it is a four door! I really like them - great porportions to their design. Looks like a Premier with at least the light package option and does it have a vinyl roof? Love the black paint. What color is the interior? I have both the factory service manuals (body and electrical) for my '78 Aspen. I got them off of eBay. There is a listing for both for $59 right now which is the best price currenty, although you might be able to find them cheaper if you wait and keep looking.
1978 Chrysler Shop Manual Set Newport New Yorker Cordoba LeBaron Repair Service | eBay
I paid less that that for mine, but I had to wait a while. Be sure to look for the GREEN covered books which are for 78. Others would work but there are some differences from year to year and it is nice to have the ones for your specific F body. Post some more pictures when you get a chance!

old yellow 78

Reaction score
This is also very handy if you want to work on and understand your Volare. It's the factory parts catalog, and has very useful exploded views and parts numbers for just about every part on your car.
1978 DODGE PLYMOUTH CHRYSLER CAR PARTS CATALOG / ORIGINAL MOPAR PARTS BOOK | eBay
Again, you might be able to find one for less if you wait and keep looking.
There is also the factory data catalog which was used in the showroom when the cars were ordered new by customers. It is mainly for fun to see what options and combinations of equipment the cars could come with when new. It is cool because they have small swatches of the actual upholstery options as well as paint chips and pinstripe colors.
Vintage 1978 Plymouth Data Book and Car Selector | eBay
Have fun and enjoy your "New for '78 Volare!"

VolareMom

Reaction score
I have a factory shop manual for a 1976 Volare, I'd give it up but it was a freinds dads. He had a new wagon that he drove until he passed in 2010 or so. My Volare has nothing stock but the body so I have no use for it. There is quite a bit on the quadrajet that I might use someday.
I appreciate the thought, but I understand the sentimental value it has to you. No worries.:)

bruue1

Reaction score
Cool looking car, I like the wheels. I have a 1980 four door Aspen, not much different.

What engine do you have in there?

VolareMom

Reaction score
Cool looking car, I like the wheels. I have a 1980 four door Aspen, not much different.

What engine do you have in there?
Based on what I was told by the seller, its a 318. I honestly am still learning a lot, so they could have told me something totally different and I wouldn't know better. Sad to say. Fingers crossed.

I love the look of it. The lady I purchased it from said they had gotten it for her daughter as a project car and the daughter took one look at it and wanted nothing to do with it. Her loss in my opinion.:cool:

bruue1

Reaction score
I think its cool too.

Here's a picture of mine. I'll do my little introduction thread later tonight.

Aspen1.jpg

bruue1

Reaction score
I wrote that I had purchased this car in April of 2021 but I made a mistake. Looking back throughmy savings account I withdrew the money for this car in the last couple weeks of March 2021. So I guess i have owned this car since March of 1991.

I got my Intro posted with a few more pics.

Thanks for the reply!

Back