NON-AC heater core and blower

Volare4life

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals, well I am finally getting around to putting my blower box and new heater core back in the car, only problem is I took everything out ( blower box, vents, heater controls, cables etc.) about 7yrs ago and ill be damned if I can remember where everything goes, I was wondering if any one had a picture or step by step of which cables go where ( chilton is pretty vague on the whole process), saw slant6billy's video but its hard to make out a lot of it. Any help is appreciated,

-Mike

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Does this help?

20160207_205339-1-1.jpg
20160207_205501-1-1.jpg

20160207_205347-1-1.jpg
20160207_205304-1-1-1-1.jpg
20160207_205339-1-1.jpg
20160207_205501-1-1.jpg

Sorry about the doubles.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Wow, you can count on the Capt.! Aren't those factory manuals great? It's somehow reassuring to see that somebody else has multiple year projects going too Mike! OY spends way too much time sitting in the garage while I am busy with so many other things. For a few years now most of my time has been spent doing a slow-motion flip of a house, and the only time I have to work on it is weekends, so that almost always takes priority over working on OY. I really can't wait to have a whole weekend to just work on OY without feeling like I should be doing something else. Good luck getting it all back together.

Volare4life

Reaction score
Thanks Capt. your awesome !! Between here and aspenvolare, you guys always come through for me, might have to hit up fleebay and see about a real deal FSM, Chilton just isn't cutting it lol

MBDale

Reaction score
Thanks! As for I'm going to be putting my dash together as soon as I get my new heater core too and this will be useful!

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Here ya go. '79 FSM's. A bargain at $40. Not mine. 1979 Chrysler LeBaron Volare Aspen Cordoba Magnum Service Shop Repair Manual
--- Post updated ---
And for the '76's: 1976 PLYMOUTH VALIANT GRAN FURY VOLARE CHRYSLER CORDOBA FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL

The '77's: 1977 Chrysler Plymouth Dodge Shop Manual Charger SE Volare Road Runner Aspen R/T

And, the '78's: 1978 PLYMOUTH FURY ROAD RUNNER SAPPORO VOLARE Service Repair Shop Manual Set OEM

You can also find Parts Manuals online too. Here is one for the 1980 models. I actually enjoy just looking through my '78 Parts Manual just for fun. Easily amused I guess. 1980 Chrysler MOPAR Parts Catalog Manual Volare Gran Fury LeBaron New Yorker

These are informative and fun too. You can find them fairly reasonably for your particular year and Plymouth, Chrysler and Dodge: Set of 2 1978 Plymouth Color & Trim Selector & Data Book Original Dealer Book

Volare4life

Reaction score
Well got my '79 body and chassis manuals in today $15 shipped, now I am wondering do i spend the time and add back in just the heater/blower, or can I swap in a whole ac unit from a M body ?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m installing a ‘84 M body evaporator case into my ’77 F body (no A/C). Just need a couple more parts to gather first (i.e.: F body right lower dash half), but will be attacking it soon.

My plan is once Heater case is out, to make a cardboard cutout roughly the size of firewall inside of car (I’m guessing 1’ by 3’, maybe). Get one of my twin kids to hold it in place while I mark the existing holes on engine side of firewall.

I will then take that template to my M body case to see what modifications are needed. I’m hoping that some of the mounting holes are in same location.

I robbed all of the A/C parts from a rusted out ‘84 GF police car (among other things) and also from an ’86 5th Ave from parts yard. An ’86 5th Ave is my daily driver, so I at least have a “reference”.
I’ve found M body cars a little easier to find, plus I don’t have to find or mess with that firewall loop for F body A/C cars.

On a different note: 20 years ago my dad retired and sold his Mopar only salvage yard. About 10 years before that, I remember a team of Mexicans came North of the boarder and cut out about 40-50 of the F body A/C firewall loops as well as any/all other A/C parts needed, to take back south of the boarder.
I was told that cars there (then) only came plane jane and the excise tax for (any) option was sky high – so apparently it was cheaper for Mexicans to travel to Oklahoma, cut out several firewalls, gather all other parts needed (as well as P/S gears/columns, power window setups, etc., for all Mopar bodes including pickups) and take there to install.
It was funny to see the multi truck caravan before heading back to Mexico for they just haphazardly tossed things into trucks anyway it would fit and just low enough to clear most bridges (picture Beverly Hillbilly’s). Most of the parts were not even marked!

On a side note: has anyone ever had a full cardboard box of mixed years and engine sizes (/6, small and big block) A/C brackets, P/S brackets, pulleys etc., and none of it marked! I have a hard enough time trying to figure out brackets on one engine on what goes where and such, that I know all parts are present.

BudW

volare 77

Reaction score
Anyone have a source for a non a/c heater core for f body? Seems like only a/c are available.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I had to replace the heater core for my ’77 (no-A/C) wagon a couple of years ago and might have bought the last (or one of the last) aftermarket heater cores. IT DID NOT FIT and caused a lot of troubles for me (even after spending a couple of hours trying to make it fit, it still broke my plastic case).

My recommendation: Take the old core out and take to a radiator shop.
They will either find/fix the leak or install a new core. You will be out less $, have a better product and most importantly – it will fit without hassle (or without breaking anything).
BudW

Edit:
I got a similar (new) piece of cardboard (right name?) from my local arts supply house (Hobby Lobby) and changed it out while I had the heater case out of car, for my original one was falling apart.

An interesting surprise I found when I cracked my case open:
20170102_190001r.jpg

a dead mouse.

Last edited:

volare 77

Reaction score
He usually will make stuff that is not available if you have a good original or nos piece. He made the gasket for the third brake light for my 14 Ram which only came with the light assy from mopar.

Back