Non AC Heater Core

PursuitSpecial

Reaction score
It's about time to replace my heater core in my aspen, when I turn on my defroster it's fogging up my windows with antifreeze-smelling steam and there's moisture in the heater box. The car doesn't have air conditioning and all the non-ac cores for sale have been discontinued, according to my research the correct core is a Mopar part number 3879534 like the one here Radiador del calentador para Dodge Aspen 1980 Marca APDI Número de Parte 9010120 I checked all the cross reference numbers and can't find anything that looks like it might work. I can't order from that website, either their order form is messed up or the product isn't available. Does anyone here know where to get one or am I gonna have to have mine re-cored? I drive the car daily and cold weather is approaching so I kinda need reliable heat that doesn't fog my windows up.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I guess a 1976 Dart non-A/C is a direct fit from what I've seen and read. IIRC the tubes might need adjusted slightly to line up.

Dart left, Aspen right.

FB_IMG_1645066573752.jpg

Last edited:

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
The last car one I did I ended up getting recored because I couldn't get one that fit right and it was a rwd GM. So if they can botch that up its probably not that good of a chance of getting a good one for these. But you could get lucky.

LSM360

Reaction score
The HVAC box in my '89 is stamped F/M/J IIRC. I tried two different brands off Rockauto that were listed as fitting my application, and both were physically much to big to fit into the compartment in the HVAC. Frustrating. I kept old one for recore.

80mirada

Reaction score
I bought one of Rockauto, and it fit, but the seal that came with it was trashed. It was a private label closeout, made in 91......

Aspen500

Reaction score
Getting the old one recored is probably the best bet, then you KNOW it will fit. Of course that depends if there's a radiator shop where you live. We're lucky here, Glen-Ray Radiators is over on the NE side (since 1955) and they are the best, plus they're extremely Mopar friendly.

LSM360

Reaction score
Getting the old one recored is probably the best bet, then you KNOW it will fit. Of course that depends if there's a radiator shop where you live. We're lucky here, Glen-Ray Radiators is over on the NE side (since 1955) and they are the best, plus they're extremely Mopar friendly.
Glen-Ray is the best.

Also, mine didn't need a recore, just a repair along a seam.

PursuitSpecial

Reaction score
I ordered a core for a 76 duster, it wasn't terribly expensive and if it doesn't quite fit I'll do what I have to do to make it fit, like I did with the mustang radiator... that's just what you gotta do sometimes to these old cars that have limited parts availability. I really don't want to recore it because my local radiator shop charges exorbitant fees, last time I had a radiator recored it was over $600, yikes, and having it sent off is gonna put my car inoperable for a while plus all the shipping fees, the duster core was only $37 plus shipping, hard to beat for a little extra rigging

Duke5A

Reaction score
Had mine recored for $230 by Superior Radiator in Mt. Clemens Michigan. Of course that was ten years ago.

volare 1977

Reaction score
I do actually have a new non a/c 77 f body but it came damaged on the corner from a vendor that I got from Canada. I don`t think it leaks but it would need to be pressured tested.

PursuitSpecial

Reaction score
Drats, I took the dash apart and removed the old heater core, bent the pipes a little on the new one and cut the case out for them to go through and it fits in place, but the pipes don't quite stick far enough out of the firewall to get a hose on. Bending them into place must've shortened them just enough to cause a problem. I'm trying to hurry and get this finished, has anyone put an A body core in an F body before, what did you do? I'm thinking I could extend the pipes with rubber hose and connect with a splice or somehow make the heater core set farther forward in the heater box. Here's what it looks like sitting in the heater box:

IMG_20231007_233732967_HDR.jpg

PursuitSpecial

Reaction score
I ran short pieces of heater hose out of the firewall to take up the space and spliced them into the main heater hoses. I put the heater box and coolant back in and ran the car until the thermostat opened and got the core hot, no apparent leaks, so it appears that trick did it. Time will tell if it lasts though. I probably have the most jury rigged cooling system on an F body now with the mustang radiator and duster heater, but it's cheap and necessary when you can't get the right parts...

IMG_20231008_132108135.jpg

IMG_20231008_123822369_HDR.jpg

Aspen500

Reaction score
Sometimes there's little choice but to "improvise, overcome, adapt". I don't remember what they were but a loooong time ago I worked on cars where the hoses hooked to the core under the dash. It was fun changing the hoses without getting coolant on the carpet, while laying upside down on your back, underneath the dash.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
I guess another thing to try is extending them with hard line and compression fittings.. but at least hose is easy enough to deal with.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Those hoses need some kind of grommet between them and the firewall. That'll wear through in short order.

volare 1977

Reaction score
first thought was to drill the firewalll holes bigger and clamp the hoses inside, then put some dum dum or sealer at the firewall, then put a fake retangular plate at the hoses and put a screw in the plate. some of the non cars have that plate, then add some loose clamps for appearance only for a factory look. nobody would ever know

Back