Noob here just joined

TheTattooer

Reaction score
Thanks for letting me join the forum! Just picked up an 88 Plymouth Gran Fury that's fully loaded. Looks like it only has 81 k on the ODO according to the title and runs very well. It does have the LB cpu and have already checked into some HEI swaps. Any info anyone could pass along, I'm all ears. My parents and I spent a good hour or so vacuuming out the interior due to a pine needle infestation and my daughter and I cleaned up the outside

image_1442533152883.jpg

image_1442533192989.jpg

image_1442533233097.jpg

image_1442533293003.jpg

image_1442533341971.jpg

image_1442533378907.jpg

image_1442533428078.jpg

Master M

Reaction score
Welcome, Nice car.... Nice to see you got some of your Dad's Pentastar genes. You just can't get a better car for the money.
I prefer factory equipment, so I can't help much with swapping aftermarket parts. I see a number of original lean burn systems still going strong after 30 years. They just need to be maintained like any other system. Save the Lean Burn !

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
A family affair.
Welcome aboard.

If the lean burn is running fine I'd leave it.
Still running mine on my 87 Fifth.

Very nice ride by the way.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Welcome. Nice score there. Not to argue the HEI verse mopar Chrome box, but I'd try the mopar electronic ignition conversion ( mid 70s type) and then get a hold of Revenator's box with the 7 LEDs. Those LEDs are actually a tach for underhood tuning. check it out here: http://thertgarage.com/products.html

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Nice looking machine. We have been awaiting your arrival. Some proud parent tipped us off you might show up.:angel3:

TheTattooer

Reaction score
plymouthgranfuryconcept.jpg
so I made this in Photoshop while waiting on a client at the tattoo shop. Since this is the shop car I decided I want to find some SRT10 factory rims and slap them on being a straight match. Not a DONK, but tucking these under the fenders, didnt have time to show that on Photoshop...so, keep it 100% original, go with this concept, or flatblack it and go kinda a ratrod theme..keep in mind this is for a tattoo shop.

plymouthgranfuryconcept.jpg

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Current Chrysler rims most likely will NOT fit. Too much positive offset, which means that the mounting flange is far too much towards the outside face of the wheel, resulting in the inner flange of the wheel being too far inwards. With the width of modern wheels being what they are, there will be very high probability of interference with either bodywork or suspension. The much increased diameter will likely create bodywork interference, just because the M body was never designed for 20" wheels. The braking issues are going to be a serious matter, but as this is just a photoshop render, the point may be moot.

Also, the photoshop render above seems to be distorted; the car proportions look wrong, the car is both longer and vertically shorter than M bodies that I have seen.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Bolt circle diameter is actually remarkably close. The current front drive big car (300, Charger) bot circle is 5X114.3 mm, which is theoretically exactly 5 X4.5". However, the bolt diameters are slightly different, so the holes may still not work properly. In either case, you would need to use spacers to move the wheels out to the proper position, so could the proper bolt patterns and hole diameters for each side (the holes that match up to the M's wheel hub would be the proper SAE 5 X 4 1/2" with the correct bolt diameter, and the bolts in the spacers could be made to properly fit the 5 X114.3 mm bolt circle on the SRT wheels). Won't fix the 20" wheel diameter issue, and the use of spacers is always a little bit of an iffy proposition. Example of adaptor is here:

http://adaptitusa.com/5-x-4.50-to-5-x-114.3-wheel-adapter.aspx

The manufacturer offers spacers up to 2.0" thick, and I suppose you can talk to them to have thicker ones made, but they would need to be pretty thick to make up the offset difference from the rear wheel offset (around 0 for our cars, or 3.5"-4" back spacing) this is normal for our cars to the high amount of positive offset that is common on the "front drive" type of offset seen in modern cars (front wheel drive or not).

Last edited:

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Close, but no cigar.
You'll need a BIG impact gun and you'll bend the hub bolts, but you can force them on.
I sure wouldn't want to be in 'that' car at speed.

80mirada

Reaction score
Okay, 114.3 mm is 4.5". Chargers, Challengers and 300s all come on 114.5mm bolt pattern. Aftermarket wheels for them are usually drilled on the 4.5"/114.3mm pattern if they are produced by a "domestic" company. The stud positions are only 0.1mm or 0.0039" different.

80mirada

Reaction score
The LX platform uses a 14x1.5mm stud and most older mopars use a 1/2"x20 stud, that would negate the difference in bolt pattern. The wheel offset is the main obstacle to using the LX wheels. It was common from 2006 to about 2009 to see older mopars with Charger/Magnum R/t wheels, but the offset issue was noticeable unless appropriate spacer were used.

Depending on who's listing you read for the wheels, they are 114.3mm/4.5", 114.5mm or 115mm bolt pattern, sometimes all three from the same supplier.

Back