NOS Chrysler Imperial Fuel Injection Conversion Kit (not mine)

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
00L0L_cDoEyEcmTx4_1200x900.jpg

The ad says:
"Selling a NOS Chrysler Carburetor conversion kit for the FI Imperial built in 1981, 1982, and 1983. This is complete kit to convert the 318 engine from fuel injection to the carbureted version. Chrysler experienced many problems with their early FI engines and as a result offered to have owners return to the dealership to have this conversion done.
Asking $2,500 and includes everything for the complete conversion."

A nice to have - but DANG, the $2,500 price tag is rather steep.
BudW

marty mopar

Reaction score
I sold one years ago for 1,500.00 and thankfully I didn't have to ship it as the fuel lines are 2,000 feet long...more or less

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I understand about the problems with the original fuel injection system, and people wanting to get away from it. My only question is: why not go to a modern fuel injection system instead? Is it to preserve the fuel economy read out in the digital display? Is there something else that I am not seeing? Seems like the easiest thing to do is to get a system like a Fitech base system and their Fuel commnader setup. Cheaper, too.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Seems like the easiest thing to do is to get a system like a Fitech base system
For $2,500 you can purchase a nice 4-bbl appearing F.I. setup and have money left over for other goodies (or even with $1,500).
BudW

Aspen500

Reaction score
That EFI was a case of good intentions while over stepping the electronic and computer technology of the day. Kind of like the electronic sequential port fuel injection option on the Chrysler 300 back in '57 or '58 (forget which year). Great idea but it would be 40 years before electronics technology caught up to where they'd be reliable, and then another 10 before they became almost bullet proof and dead nuts precise like they are today.

I remember working on a couple Cadillac Eldorado's from the late '70's with the EFI (I believe it was called L-Tronic) at one point back in the late '80's when they were still on the road. What a freaking nightmare they were, and essentially non-repairable in economic terms. Both the ones I recall got scrapped because it was going to be so expensive to fix either of them, the owners pulled the plug. Another case of trying something years before the technology was there to do it.

Last edited:

Leeinri

Reaction score
That is about 20 minutes from me. Lol! I don't understand why someone would spend that kind of money for a two bbl!

kkritsilas

Reaction score
That EFI was a case of good intentions while over stepping the electronic and computer technology of the day. Kind of like the electronic sequential port fuel injection option on the Chrysler 300 back in '57 or '58 (forget which year). Great idea but it would be 40 years before electronics technology caught up to where they'd be reliable, and then another 10 before they became almost bullet proof and dead nuts precise like they are today.

I remember working on a couple Cadillac Eldorado's from the late '70's with the EFI (I believe it was called L-Tronic) at one point back in the late '80's when they were still on the road. What a freaking nightmare they were, and essentially non-repairable in economic terms. Both the ones I recall got scrapped because it was going to be so expensive to fix either of them, the owners pulled the plug. Another case of trying something years before the technology was there to do it.

Sounds like the old Bosch L-Jetronic fuel injection system. I think it was used on older European cars (M-N, BMW, Audi, some VW, etc.). From memory, it was an analog fuel injection system (modern fuel injection systems are digital), and I think the analog electronics were custom made by Bosch (or for Bosch), which means if the electronics go bad, getting replacements will be close to impossible. I don't know if there is anybody making replacement units, or repairing the units in the European car side of the car repair/replacement industry.

Back