NOS Mopar parts

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Recently the forum has been flooded with new members selling their parts, E bay sites and all.
I would caution members buying parts that even in the eightys new parts for Fbodys were sketchy, the the bumper fillers and all flexable parts were seconds that didn't pass for the assembly line, most had been reprimed and boxed for part sales. Some were deformed and some must have had paint problems, never the less painting some of these parts was a nightmare. Primer would lift or peel off the color it had been put over. A lot of the part stock that dealers end up with are problem parts that have been returned for one reason or another, especially body parts.
Some of the parts I've seen advertised as N new O old S stock is clearly used, I remember a year ago or so a front bumper advertised as NOS that was soild rust on the backside, at best it was a recrome but it looked used. With no recourse on these parts I would be very cautious about what I bought and how much I paid for it. NOS seams to mean different things to different people so be careful, buyers beware.

Aspen500

Reaction score
NOS only means it's old stock that's never been used, it doesn't necessarily mean the part is in brand new condition or that it isn't complete junk. All depends on how many times it's been moved around, where it's been stored, etc............
I've seen NOS bumpers (for example) that after 40 or 50 years of being where ever they were, would need replated before use, even for a "driver", due to rust and/or the plating peeling off or, they're scuffed and scratched really bad.
I agree though, what sometime's is advertised as "NOS", isn't. Maybe the seller doesn't know what NOS really means, or they're crooks that do know. Other times it could be the seller truly thinks it's an NOS part, but it isn't.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Huh. I always thought that NOS meant "New Old Stock", implying that it has never been used. Condition though, surely does depend on how something has been stored and how many hands it has passed through. Remember "Miss Belvedere" out in Tulsa Oklahoma? I guess you could make a case for it being NOS, but :eek:!!!! Like with everything, some people make innocent mistakes, other try to scam. I try to trust people for the most part, but every once in a while...

x-miss-belvedere.jpg

Aspen500

Reaction score
When I first started in the business (auto tech) in 1984, I worked for a Chevy dealer in one of the small outlying towns near here(for 9 months until I GTFO of that hell hole but that's another story, lol). Anyways, the dealership had been in business, in the same location since 1928 (and never updated I might add...one part of the hell hole thing). While I worked there yet, they decided to move the business and cleaned out the 2nd floor of the place. Those were NOS parts! All from the 1920's and 1930's mostly and being stored, basically untouched on the 2nd floor that was made of wood, they looked like brand new even after what was at the time, 50 or 60 years. Complete exhaust systems, springs, trim, body parts, glass, mechanical parts, etc....... I remember they put everything in the one car showroom and some Chevy club came and bought the whole works. Price? $500. The club got one hell of a deal I'd say. It was enough stuff to fill the back of a large box truck front to back, top to bottom.
Why do I mention this? I always wonder how many more treasure troves of forgotten NOS parts are in attics or backrooms at old dealerships that nobody knows exists.

I've also seen real NOS parts that look to have been stored under water like that Plymouth in the time capsule was. That would have been really cool if they'd have done it right and made sure the capsule was water proof.

Back