oil filter stud?

77kickinaspen

Reaction score
cant find anything in rock auto searching google.

i was changing the oil on sunday and i have no garage or drive way on the street and laying there my dam filter wrench starts caving the filter in so i stopped before it was bad. i went to the oil change place they r local and do it for free if u bring the parts so i said hey i got a filter(im upgrading sizes from a 16to a 43 1/4in diffrence longer) all that and they got it off then putting the new one on they said its not sealing well and the threads on the stud is worn they got it to not leak but whats th name for the part?

is it a easy napa item i havnt gone there yet but rockauto has alotta stuff and they didnt list it.

he said they usualy are a stud with stop in the middler and u grab ur old one with vices and take it off and dont use vices to put the new on on hand tighten then tighten it with the filterwhen ur changing ur oil that sound like how ours work too?

BHA43

Reaction score
I take it you are talking small block? it is a hollow piece with 3/8 square drive inside. (use a 3/8 extension) I can't hardly believe the threads are worn, that wouldn't cause a leak anyway? The nut holds a plate to the block that the filter rubber gasket seals to. There is also a gasket between the plate & the block. The threaded piece should be the same on any small block unless it has the 90 deg adapter.

77kickinaspen

Reaction score
they were saying the filter isnt sealing good so ima need the new stud and a gasket for between the block and filter plate ? i do have a 318 stock oil filter stuff i believe.

they got it to seal probbly jus kept tightning its not top priority but if oil could be leaking from the gasket ur talking about id change it out

Last edited:

slant6billy

Reaction score
Can you get your camera in there a get a pic? My F body has the extension off the block so the filter is swept back. My dad's 5th was the same. However, all my friend's small blocks have the filter going right to the block. My jeep was the crazy 5.2 with the starter on the passenger side but the filter did the same (into the block). I think you are describing the extension. My jeep got the summit remote oil filter kit for 29 bucks and it lowered my filter, gave better cooling and was easily removed when turning the front wheel to the left.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
You either have the 90 degree adaptor or it threads straight to the block as Phil explained.

chucker54_2227_35571892

77kickinaspen

Reaction score
thanks so ill use a 3/8 sqaure drive and take the stud off and then pry/wiggle the gasket loose and clean /scrape the plate and block and reapply new?

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
Yepper, use Locktite thread locker on the threads of the stud that go into the block. And only on the threads that go into the block.

This way when you unscrew your oil filter, the stud will stay put.

slant6billy

Reaction score
My advice ...... do as MiradaMegacab stated: threadlocker on the stud going into the block. I shy away from antiseize on stuff like that. Throw a little oil on the thread. I swear on oil on threads of stuff that has "on & off" activity.

Back