Oil Question

VolareMom

Reaction score
Hello! I'm wanting to do an oil change on my 1978 Plymouth Volare. Based on my Chilton's manual I purchased, I can do 10w 30, 10w 40 or 10w 50 viscosity for the minimal temperature concern. It mentions either using SE or SF. Looking into this further, it seems that over the years they've gotten rid of this rating? Do I need to order specific oil for this vehicle, or can I use current oil as long as it has the correct viscosity? May be a dumb question, but only way to receive an answer is to ask.
Thanks for anyone who can take a sec to help me with this.
~VolareMom

Aspen500

Reaction score
The SE and SF classification has been superceded many times since '78. Any oil you buy off the shelf will be MORE than adequate. I haven't paid attention to the API rating lately but I think it's up to SM now.

The only dumb question is the one that's not ask.

VolareMom

Reaction score
The SE and SF classification has been superceded many times since '78. Any oil you buy off the shelf will be MORE than adequate. I haven't paid attention to the API rating lately but I think it's up to SM now.

The only dumb question is the one that's not ask.
Excellent! Thank you for the quick response. I'm excited to be getting the next step in my project completed.

Camtron

Reaction score
Shell Rotella has been my go to lately for oil. It’s cheaper on the shelf than your average conventional and synthetic oils and has all the extra vitamins and dinosaur bits to keep older engines happy.
I usually run 15w40 in the summer and 10w30 in the winter.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Your cam is a flat tappet variety so zinc must be part of the equation

LSM360

Reaction score
Don't see what engine you have but I agree with the zinc comments and if it's a 318 I would stick with 10W-30. It's a good weight for a variety of temps according to Chrysler engineers. I don't know what was recommended for slant six. If you don't find a high zinc oil then an additive would be good but I always read good stuff about Rotella as was already recommended.

Bill Park

Reaction score
Don't see what engine you have but I agree with the zinc comments and if it's a 318 I would stick with 10W-30. It's a good weight for a variety of temps according to Chrysler engineers. I don't know what was recommended for slant six. If you don't find a high zinc oil then an additive would be good but I always read good stuff about Rotella as was already recommended.
Rotella is good however I do not know that contains zinc as the zinc has been removed for the greenies

Camtron

Reaction score
Rotella has about 1200ppm of zinc. They did lower it about 100ppm or so a little over 10 years ago but, still has one of the higher contents of zinc and phosphorus for not being a “high performance/racing oil” specific product.

Back