Oil

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Go with a good brand too. I personally use Quaker State but any good brand will do. I stay away from the "bargoon" crap. And use a good Made in USA filter too. :D

Justwondering

Reaction score
If your question is 'should I use synthetic or conventional oil'.. use conventional. There was no synthetic oil available when these cars were originally loaded with lubricant. Every line, crevass, joint, ring, etc. is fully saturated with conventional oil. The engine specs are formed around conventional oil, so I've continued to do the 10w30 and it runs fine. Just keep changing the oil as needed.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
If your question is 'should I use synthetic or conventional oil'.. use conventional. There was no synthetic oil available when these cars were originally loaded with lubricant. Every line, crevass, joint, ring, etc. is fully saturated with conventional oil. The engine specs are formed around conventional oil, so I've continued to do the 10w30 and it runs fine. Just keep changing the oil as needed.

My thoughts exactly.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Oh No! The captain is waving the red sheet in front of me. He knows I can not resist jumping into this conversation. You absolutely should run a high quality synthetic in your car! I am not talking about a cheap, low quality synthetic oil like Mobile 1 that can cause problems, but rather a quality product like Amsoil.

Yes Amsoil is the original synthetic motor oil, and has been available in the same formulation since 1972, and these cars were all built after 72. Even in 72 Amsoil realized the quality of their product, and began debunking the myth of the 3,000 mile oil change. Since day one Amsoil has proven reliable for motorists who run 25,000 mile oil changes, and that was done on cars with carbs. Many folks will tell you a carb'ed engine can not run synthetic for 25,000 miles. Amsoil has the data to back it up that they can be successfully run for this duration.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Okay -- I'll bite. I have never heard of Amsoil. How is their synthetic better than other synthetic? Where do you buy it?

Course, don't take this personally. Just shake your head in wonder. There are many, many car related things i've never heard of.

Vent bowl -- who knew? Sounds like something you'd order at an asian restaurant. I just know the hose that goes to it is cracked. ..... i have so much to learn.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Personally I've never bought into the synthetic thing. All I know is these cars came from the factory with conventional. I've seen MANY a discussion on the subject on here and yet.....

I run Quaker State 10W 30 conventional religiously and I've never had a problem. Ever.

That's good enough for me.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I myself go by what engine builders tell me. It was raised on conventional. Don't go messing with it now. If I did a rebuild I might think about it. But my stock 318 was raised on the stuff and I personally don't plan on making it run on something else after 30 years. Same with my two slants. They all seem quite happy with the tried and true.
--- Post updated ---
I will only use dinosaur oil.
I get mine farm fresh from a local dinosaur farm, freshly squeezed.

Now THAT'S fresh!

Master M

Reaction score
Well why not jump in to the puddle. I think Amsoil synthetic oil is superior to conventional oil. It has been proven many times. What I don't believe 100% is, putting it into an older car like ours and risking seal leakage. I have had it happen. The synthetic is slippery enough to sneak out seals that conventional doesn't. In an engine with a small leak, it could get worse. In a new or rebuilt engine with all new seals, I am for it. I use Valvoline 10W30 conventional in my 5th. OK so I also put a pint of Marvel oil with it.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Marvel oil.
My 61 pontiac is going on 2 years with gallons of marvel sitting in the crankcase. Engine just wont turn lose. Everytime its on sale, I add more from the top, decant a bit from the bottom.

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
Marvel oil .. just came from their web site .. same product in crankcase or gas tank? That just sounds odd, but convenient .... I put some Lucas stop leak in and drips much less now .. not that it was bad .. but it is better. I don't like to thicken up my oil in winter but warmer weather is coming .. right??

Darth-Car

Reaction score
What I don't believe 100% is, putting it into an older car like ours and risking seal leakage. I have had it happen. The synthetic is slippery enough to sneak out seals that conventional doesn't.

That is an excellent point, and was true with many of the impure offerings of budget synthetics that hit the market in the 80's. The difference for the Amsoil is in the pure base stock that it is built from. Without the impurities, it does not damage your seals.

I have personally run it in many vehicles that I acquired with over 150k on the clock, and have never had a leakage issue. I was told, and recommend to folks with higher mileage engines to run the first fill of Amsoil for 5000 - 10,000 miles then change it. That allows the gunk that has been cleaned from the engine to come out. After that I run all of the high mileage motors at just 20,000 mile change intervals. A good quality Wix filter can run 20,000 miles now, but I still change them 5000 miles, or once per year.

Back