Opinions please.

aspen77rt

Reaction score
Got the aspen up on stands for motor and trans removal. The plate you see in the pic strikes me as odd for some reason. Pic is looking upward towards the hurst shifter. The plate attaching to the rear pad looks strange for some reason.

Is everything look normal in the pics?

P1010003.jpg

P1010004.jpg

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
I am going to stay that is an older 833 tranny that had the shifter farther back than did the 833 overdrive tranny. That plate moves it farther forward for an F-Body car.

aspen77rt

Reaction score
Hmm, I thought I an a833 OD trans. So, that shifter pad is further back than a standard f-body trans?

Is the plate standard?

slant6billy

Reaction score
Were these 833 on the B body, perhaps or a truck? I wonder if the Duster/ dart trans is like that? My neighbor has two mid 70s 833 in his shed. I just need to go bend his ear to get them.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Hmm, I thought I an a833 OD trans. So, that shifter pad is further back than a standard f-body trans?

Is the plate standard?
Nope looks like someone made it to move the shifter forward. Looks like you may have an A Body 4 speed. The dead sure giveaway is that it looks to be cast iron and not aluminum. 833 od trannys are aluminum.

RTA23.jpg

RTA23.jpg

mirada80

Reaction score
It is a 833OD as by the inverted 3rd/4th lever, and it would have been from a truck, as the trucks were the only long tail shaft OD. It appears that the tail shaft may have been replaced with a cast one at some point. That plate is home made and not a factory item. The 'a' bodies also used a short shaft like the F bodies. I had replaced the OD unit in my '78 roadrunner with a cast 833 4speed years ago and it was a bolt in other than adjusting the 3rd/4th rod.

aspen77rt

Reaction score
Good deal then. The car always shifted fine. Just looked odd and wanted to confirm before taking the shifter out.

Back