Painting safely

slant6billy

Reaction score
I got a nice 3M respirator mask on clearance for 20 bucks. My fresh air system is pretty much complete. I just need a new tyvek suit and hood mask. The plan is to run my fresh air line along the ceiling and use a pivot swing arm (like a self serve car wash). This way the nasties stay out of me. The garage doors will be open about 24" to accommodate the multiple box fans. Lastly, old pieces of carpet are ready to go on the floor. The plan is to soak them with water- in order to get that down draft effect. I am ready.... just need better outside temps.

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
me n my good friend painted my car in his ma's garage a few winters ago, heated with a propane heater, and the floor was a absolute mess, yet we didn't have any problems with the paint...somehow

NoCar340

Reaction score
One of my friends that's been a bodyman for decades has a picture of himself painting 3 race cars outdoors. No mask, no protection, no nothing, with a lit cigarette dangling from his mouth. He told me, "The scariest part of that picture is that we didn't have enough thinner, so we just cut the enamel with gasoline." I told him he's luckily he didn't vanish in a mushroom cloud, and he said, "The '70s were a pretty crazy time."

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I've run printing presses for at least 30 years.
Back in the (not so) "good ol'days" we used to wash up the presses with what is pretty close to gasoline....of course I'd do this with a smoke hanging out of my mouth.....I'm glad I lived....

Back