Panhard setup

Opticon77

Reaction score
Panhard on a leaf spring car is not ideal, especially one with lots of suspension travel. The lateral "sagitta" movement side loads the springs hard at rest.

Most of what I see for limiting lateral movement on leaf springs has to do with beefy shackles and solid bushings.

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
If you want bar, it'd be better to use a Watts link. A panhard bar pulls the axle sideways, as Opticon mentioned, when the suspension travels. That's why Jeep Grand Cherokees with front and rear solid axles drive so crappy. Every bump and the body moves side to side. Maybe you'd get used to it but, it gives me an uneasy feeling everytime I have to drive one at work. With leaf springs, it's unnecessary.

A Watts link allows the axle to go straight up and down while locating it side to side. One downside is a bracket to mount to the center of the differential housing for the center to pivot on. Most factory ones have a cast aluminum cover it bolts to, some a heavy bracket bolted to the axle.

An alternate method is mount the outer ends of the bars to the area of the spring plates instead of frame brackets, and mount the pivot on the chassis. You'd need to fab a heavy bracket to go between the subframe rails yet be low enough to put the pivot point roughly in the centerline of the rear axle at rest. Not really ideal but, it does work.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

XfbodyX

Reaction score
People would do better to start with reasonable suspension mods on our cars. In short order even some middle of the road mods can and will exceed the limits of oem parts and designs. When you get to a certain point its more prudent just to slap FMJ body panels on a more modern or better suited chassis. Kinda like the "Tits on a Bore" things. We all like tits but not on a bore.

So with that I got to ask the OP, WHY?

Duke5A

Reaction score
I don't know what you have for suspension modifications already, but toss in a set of AHB (police) front and rear bars, then tie the frame rails together. It'll completely transform the car without adversely affecting comfort.

SixBanger

Reaction score
Thanks for all info and thinking.
I am in for homemade modifications, but didn't know that the panhard is not used for leaf spring cars. I was thinking if it is possible to make a slider attachment (rol bearing/plate) on the rear axle.

For now I don't have suspension modifications. But I would like to work on the rear suspension/chassis work. Do an iso delete and currently looking for a supplier here in NL for a set of leaf springs. Frame rails would be nice, I only found some supplier from usct motorsports.

AHB (police)

Is this an oem part of an 5th avenue?

Also still have a look at the rear brake problems.

Duke5A

Reaction score
I don't know if you have a spring shop you can go to over there, but having the factory springs re-arched with a helper spring added is a possibility. I had this done to a car once and it worked out great. Just be sure to get five leafs in the pack as the four are a bit soft.

The AHB designation is the fleet model Diplomat. Basically cop cars. They had all sorts of better parts in them. The front sway bar was larger and the consumer models of the cars didn't even have a rear bar available. If you can find a seller in the States have them send you a matching pair.

The frame ties can be done with 2x2" box tube steel. If you're down for fabrication then this should be in your wheelhouse.

Back