Part name please

MoparDan

Reaction score
What's the name of this part?
IMG_2023-03-14-17-50-22-717.jpg

MoparDan

Reaction score
I still can't believe it happened...at least the 1/4 extension took most of it (that scratch on the taillight was already there) that quarter panel though *#@$&#&@!!!!!

IMG_2023-03-13-18-23-36-618.jpg

MoparDan

Reaction score
I've got to do something about these quarter panels, there's alittle rust around the wheel wells, but the real problem as you can see is the trunk jamb (see picture) I don't know if it makes more sense to cut the rusty parts off and have new metal welded or just have the whole panel replaced. Quick Note: the area you see is the ONLY rusty part, the rest of the trunk jamb is fine, the other side is rusty in the same area though not nearly as badIMG_2023-03-17-17-48-03-165.jpg

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
The rust cancer is setting in. You're lucky you're not up north. That car would rot out in 1 winter. You could do the right thing and cut it all out and patch in new sheet metal. Or you could do the wrong thing the right way and wire wheel it, cut off the paper thin bits, use a spray can of rustoleum rusty metal primer, and then an old piece of screen and some flex seal to fill in the missing bits to make the trunk water tight.

MoparDan

Reaction score
I'm from Connecticut, I drove this car though the last 4 winters before moving to Florida, she's a CT car that wasn't ever really driven in winter before me, I'd power wash the body including the entire undercarriage, I'd also paint the underside once a year to try to keep the rust away, There's little rust anywhere else, I really can't figure out why I got so rusty there

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Maybe the paint just failed there first. I wonder if Chrysler skimped on the paint in that area

MoparDan

Reaction score
That's possible, I had her repainted once around 2012, but they didn't paint the jambs at all. At the time the paint on the roof was faded down to the bare metal in some spots!

Back