PCV Issues

rcmaniac791

Reaction score
I recently replaced my old grimy, rusty, O.E. valve covers on my 318 with Edelbrock chrome steel valve covers, and it turned out really well, especially since all of the grommets and the valve cover gaskets were certainly original, and broke apart like dried wood.

I also replaced the breather and the pcv valve, because I figured that having new parts would be better than the original stuff. Now, I'm not using a traditional pcv grommet, but it is sealed, no question there. The issue that I'm having is that once the engine reaches operating temp, the pcv valve starts to squeal. It doesn't squeal when it's warming up, and it doesn't squeal under heavy acceleration. It seems to depend on vacuum. It is a Fram pcv valve, but that's just what Summit sent me.

There's no performance issues, it's just annoying to hear a squeal when sitting at a stop light. Thanks in advance for your input. Also, here's a picture of the new valve covers.

IMG_2823[1].JPG

rcmaniac791

Reaction score
Thanks! there was so much grease on the old ones that I had to fish for the hardware to remove them.
Update: retrofitted the old pcv back on the engine using a primer bulb as a spacer/grommet. the squeal is now gone. Got to love redneck engineering. Still, it's confusing how a brand new valve would be so noisy.

Master M

Reaction score
Thanks! there was so much grease on the old ones that I had to fish for the hardware to remove them.
Update: retrofitted the old pcv back on the engine using a primer bulb as a spacer/grommet. the squeal is now gone. Got to love redneck engineering. Still, it's confusing how a brand new valve would be so noisy.
I replaced my original PCV valve with an aftermarket brand and mine makes a swishing sound I can mildly hear when at idle with the doors shut. My original one was quiet,

rcmaniac791

Reaction score
The new valve would squeal regardless of its location; either in the valve cover or not. and it wasn't a hiss, it sounded like when you fold paper and then blow on it. I could also feel the ball inside of it vibrating around. The old valve doesn't do that. It only hisses.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
The new valve would squeal regardless of its location; either in the valve cover or not. and it wasn't a hiss, it sounded like when you fold paper and then blow on it. I could also feel the ball inside of it vibrating around. The old valve doesn't do that. It only hisses.

Defective chinese crap maybe?

rcmaniac791

Reaction score
Yeah I think so. I drove it a few days with the original pcv back in it. No issue at all. I'm back at school now for the second semester, so now it sits. At least it won't be driven out in the wintery mess.

Back