Prnd21 indicator inop

mikeceli

Reaction score
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, arial]Hi. Re 1983 Cordoba. I moved the selector from Park to Drive, the pointer moved appropriately to D then shot back to P, where it remains.

FSM not much help. Anyone?
[/FONT]

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
On my Plymouth the pointer was sticking. I had to physically bend it back. (forward towards the front of the car. Sometimes they get bent and stuck.
My best guess/idea is loosen the lock screw and see if you can unjar it while you shift. Might need a re bend. Without seeing it it's only a guess.

Actually...before you bother with the lock screw.
Stick your finger up under the little flexible vinyl skirt under the PRN21 indicator and see if you can nudge the pointer forward a squeak. That might un stick it.

Last edited:

mikeceli

Reaction score
I got the cluster out, PITA.

There is a fishing line like cable that is broken. It pulls the shift indicator needle, to the right, as you shift out of park. I can not find the other end of the cable or where it attaches, on the steering colum gearshift.

Of course, the part is discontinued, at Chrysler.

SO, I need to know where it attaches to try and repair it!

ANYONE?

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Sorry man... This is the only pointer setup I know.
Crappy pic I know but I had to use my phone.
Pointer slots in...locks with set screw.
Column moves needle.
If yours is different, a pic would help.
Sometimes the pointer breaks off.
Don't know about a (fishing line).
Need pics.

2012-03-08_18.04.41.jpg

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
Mike, the 'fishing line' has a clip that clips onto the steering column, as you are shifting gears the clip attatches to the part of the column that rotates with the shifter.

Whats ur location? I got extra clusters if you need a pic.

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
With the gearshift in Park, the clip would be around the 2 oclock position on the column.

The split black rubber boot that surrounds the column rides against the part of the column that rotates as the shifter is changing gears. Thats where the clip is. In park, you should be able to see the clip looking thru the hole bettween the lower dash trim(the part that holds the rear defroster switch) and the inst gauge cluster and the column.

mikeceli

Reaction score
I found it. The clip attaches to the LOWER (BOTTOM) Half of the column trim. The FSM shows it attached to the upper half. I had removed the lower half and did not look at it. Never imagined it would attach there.

Hours wasted. I reattached the cable to the clip, by opening the crimp(half of which broke off). I added some JB Weld, to hopefully retain the cable.

What a PITA having to fix 30 year old flimsy parts! Since new is long discontinued.

My 1986 Ford F250 has a similar cable, except it is still available. It has a provision for adjustment, by turning a nut. Chrysler adjusts by positioning the clip. Cheasy!

I hope this works. Cable failed because the lube on the PRND21 indicator failed and it was difficult to move.

Mroldart2u

Reaction score
What a PITA having to fix 30 year old flimsy parts! Since new is long discontinued.

My 1986 Ford F250 has a similar cable, except it is still available. It has a provision for adjustment, by turning a nut. Chrysler adjusts by positioning the clip. Cheasy!

I hope this works. Cable failed because the lube on the PRND21 indicator failed and it was difficult to move.

Well i figure 29 years of sweltering interior heat wouldnt have anything to do with the failure of the lube.... And I know alot of cars uses the clip style adjustments. How many times do you think the indicator has been cycled? Seems like a fair trade off. But I do realize that the PITA factor does figure in...

mikeceli

Reaction score
The PITA factor was #1 Error in FSM cost me HOURS!

2 Negative availability of replacement part.

Back