Project Management

slant6billy

Reaction score
OK, I'm not here to offend anyone. Nor do I promise riches.

I see plenty of decent rides getting done and a small fortune getting put into them. Life gets in the way of most well meant projects and the TO DO list and wish list get to be a tough balance.

I don't think someone should ever give up their ride just because they have not had a chance to start the rebuild. City ordinances and Nosie neighbors some times make decisions for the guy (or girl ) with good intentions for the car they plan to "get right on next Saturday.."

So my point here and I do have a point..... get a PLAN together. A realistic plan. A simple 5 stage plan works.

Stage 1: Storage: Not everyone has a garage. Look to getting something to save your vehicle from rusting away. A friend or neighbor might have extra room. Try to have your car near you. If you have to drive a ways just to work on it, it becomes a hindrance. And do it on the cheap/ free if you can which brings it to Stage 2.

Stage 2: Funds. Can't answer this, but don't buy more car than you can handle. If you are trying to build a numbers correct 1971 Hemi Cuda- there is a reason they are the most expensive muscle car. However, the FMJs are just as tough, if not tougher since they were daily drivers and were crushed into Pepsi cans very early. So the quest is tougher for NOS parts since no real repo parts exist. Pick your level to shoot for: authentic, mild street rod, track monster.

Stage 3: Have the expectation to change direction. Draw out your plans on the garage wall (if you have one), white erase maker board is my favorite, since I can erase. Come up with 3 paths of the project. Like Path one : Hemi / 6 speed, path 2: mild small block/ 904, path 3: stock /6. The bigger the white board the better.

Stage 4: time spent wrenching- Snowdays and holidays are the best. Can't go to work and you are stuck anyway. Start working that metal, a little at a time. Which leads to Stage 5 - Organization

Stage 5: Keep it organized- tough fo all of us. Make an inventory sheet as you take it apart and mark every thing. keep your area simple and clean so stuff does not get lost.

You can work these simple stages in and out of order. It isn't the only way to do it. I just hopes folks sit down and map out their project with realistic views and expectations. A project is never done. Get it to where you can drive it and enjoy it. Get it tagged and insured. You can bolt trim on later. Good luck!

Gator

Reaction score
You have to way out priority over practicality.above all have fun .

Aspen500

Reaction score
Pretty much how mine went! Had a plan that changed some as work progressed (OK, it changed A LOT, lol).
Time wasn't so much a problem as funds. Refused to build it on credit which is one reason it took over 10 years from the first day I wandered out to the garage on that cold February day and turned the first wrench until it was "done".

You pretty much said this in your post but plans WILL change. It's like a law. My car seriously started out to be a trans overhaul and some body/paint work and that was going to be it. The "might as well", "while I'm at it, "good time to do this....." took over and next thing I knew there was a bare body shell sitting on jack stands. Literally bare. Only thing still attached were the windshield and rear window. Only reason those stayed was they were both replaced in the past and were in mint shape and didn't want to risk damage by removing (or by having removed).

Pictures, notes, drawings, labeled Zip-Loc bags, etc. Lots of work and money but in the end,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,worth every hour and every dollar!

One thing, if you are having any machine work done choose your machine shop wisely or you can have the joy of pulling your engine back out without scratching anything, rebuild it AGAIN after 100 miles, and reinstall without scratching anything. Unfortunately, I know what that's like. Live and learn...........................

Back