Pulls right

faststike115

Reaction score
New here I have 2 people with the same issues car pulls to right. Now new shocks bushings tie rod ends everything has been replaced in 2 years. But the steering box power yes. 80 318 aspen the other 81 diplomat 318. Is there another adjustment on the box besides tighten it up

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Has it been aligned?
I had a car once that always pulled to the right. Got my mechanic buddy to check it and he said the alignment was good but tweaked it a bit and said it wasn't compensating for the crown in the road. Problem solved. Some cars are more noticeable then others.

LSM360

Reaction score
Yeah they usually drift right but if you feel a real pull and front end is in good condition and aligned, I'd try swapping tires to other side or new ones if they are old anyway.

Aspen500

Reaction score
The valve body on top of the steering gear is adjustible. Before touching it, jack the front end up so the tires are off the ground. Start the engine. The steering wheel shouldn't move. If it turns by itself either direction, the valve body needs adjusted. They don't get out of adjustment on their own, only if they've been messed with at some point.
If that's good, swap tires side to side as mentioned above.

To eliminate road crown drift, try driving in the left lane (if possible) and see if it still pulls right. The alignment should have a caster split to compensate for road crown. Brain fart right now which side needs less caster. At any rate, it's usually around 0.5° less negative caster on that side.
Retired from 40 years as an auto tech a year ago, and it's amazing how quick you forget certain things.......

Justwondering

Reaction score
Aspen500 ...
Are you really blaming 'retirement' for 'brain fog'???
Did you happen to count the number of candles on the birthday cake last year???

Bwa ha ha ha ha

(p.s. My 1 year younger brother had a birthday on April 28 this year and I asked what he wanted for his birthday.
He says 'I already got it'. I replied that I'm sure I did not get his gift yet.
He says 'You already gave me the best present'. I looked confused and asked him to explain.
He says 'You hair is finally turning gray'. Whaaauuuut???
Seems he has always been upset that his hair began thinning and turning gray as a high school senior.
I had no clue. He's always seemed fine to me, no matter how he looked.
I just smiled and said 'You are very welcome!'

Brain fog is my life now.

JW

Aspen500

Reaction score
JW, LOL! I may be 60 now but,,,,,,so far no grey hair, at least on my head anyway. There's a few here and there in other places however. Only a matter of time..............

faststike115

Reaction score
The valve body on top of the steering gear is adjustible. Before touching it, jack the front end up so the tires are off the ground. Start the engine. The steering wheel shouldn't move. If it turns by itself either direction, the valve body needs adjusted. They don't get out of adjustment on their own, only if they've been messed with at some point.
If that's good, swap tires side to side as mentioned above.

To eliminate road crown drift, try driving in the left lane (if possible) and see if it still pulls right. The alignment should have a caster split to compensate for road crown. Brain fart right now which side needs less caster. At any rate, it's usually around 0.5° less negative caster on that side.
Retired from 40 years as an auto tech a year ago, and it's amazing how quick you forget certain things.......
Thanks the diplomat fixed scary it came to be a bad tire the tire ply were separating. We check the rims on the machine barley a out of round. Here’s the scary part put the tire back on the rim shakes like hell. This person grab the manger showed him he looked up n the tire pulled it off. He found 2 small bubbles in the tire. Changed the tire fixed it. Aspen tires n every bushing bearings been replaced in the last 2 year last thing replaced was the pitman arm it drove fine after that than a week went to hell did a another Alignment it was in spec tires are round rims are round. There supposed to take the Aspen to another shop

toolmanmike

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't do any adjustments to the front end or steering gear until you have rotated the tires. You must eliminate the tires as a cause before doing an alignment.

faststike115

Reaction score
Don't do any adjustments to the front end or steering gear until you have rotated the tires. You must eliminate the tires as a cause before doing an alignment.
Did it the owner said in there drive way x them checked the ware. This shop there taking it to this look at the front again also the rear. Than put the car on scales. If he finds nothing there’s a piece concrete like a 3/4 of acre he does 0-35 35-0 a slalom course than scales again

toolmanmike

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did it the owner said in there drive way x them checked the ware. This shop there taking it to this look at the front again also the rear. Than put the car on scales. If he finds nothing there’s a piece concrete like a 3/4 of acre he does 0-35 35-0 a slalom course than scales again
Huh?

faststike115

Reaction score
My guess is it's a troll or a bot
Like I said he swapped tires he had it still pulled. Now this shop he going to mention it could be the strut rod the nut could come loose due to messed up threads. I won’t here back from him till Saturday or Sunday. Btw my shade tree mechanic skills mostly focused on Jeep leaf springs and Dodge W100 ram chargers. I came on here to help a friend

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
There is no strut rod. There's a torsion bar. If it comes loose which is very unlikely the front won't sit level.
This is pretty straight forward. If the mechanic can't figure it out find a new one.

faststike115

Reaction score
Alright it was an adjustment nut that back off. As crazy as it sounds. And bad news this car was hit years ago this person fixed it over time the fix fix didn’t hold the rear end is off again

Back