RB BB exhaust manifolds

Greg55_99

Reaction score
I"m wondering what you guys that did big block swaps used for exhaust manifolds. I mean cast iron ones. I put a BB 413 into my Volare 31 years ago used 383 Dart exhaust manifolds to get it in. On the RB in the F-body, the passenger side manifold ws perfect but the drivers side tries to loop under the steering column right where the coupler is on the power steering box. I had to swap to manual steering to get clearance. NOW, I'm actually getting the car ready for a "do-over" and want to swap back to Power steering. Is there a stock manifold that will clear everything on the drivers side?

Greg

Wagonmaster

Reaction score
Im gonna be using headers on mine but I hear the later B bodies with a 400 hp have manifolds that fit nicely. Havent tried any myself yet but in my times of researching before I got headers that was gonna be the way I went

ASPEN79RT

Reaction score
Greg, when I made the swap on my Aspen R/T 1979 about 4 years ago, my first option was to use the original 400 manifolds. During the initial try, they fit pretty good (had problems with the driver side due to the power brake booster, which was eliminated), but it fitted. After a few months, switched to headers, better sound and look. The 400 engine came out of a 78 Cordova.

joeblo

Reaction score
I used the original 383 hp manifolds that came on my 70 Coronet. No problem on the drivers side, but had to hammer a small dent on the passanger side inner fender.

joeblo

Reaction score
I forgot to add that my Volare had manual brakes and power steering.

Greg55_99

Reaction score
Just to be clear. I'm running an RB engine. 413/426/440. Taller deck. Are you saying the low deck 383 drivers side B body manifold will fit the tall deck motor in an F body and clear the steering column?

Greg

joeblo

Reaction score
I used this style manifold on a 400. It was a long time ago so I don't remember how much clearance I had. On the passanger side the manifold hit by the rear bolt and may have been ok with a raised block. If you can find someone to lend you a set would be nice. Where are you located?

manifold.jpg

Back