Rear axels

Gunnar Schroder

Reaction score
Hi all,
As you know my G22 has the 7 1/4" rear axel. I have been told that the 8 1/4" is better and stronger. I do not know why my G22 had the smaller one as the engine is a 3.18.
Anyway, I may have come across a 8 1/4" locally from a Dodge Dart.
Will that one be all right "Straight put on" or must it be modified? I believe the photo is from that axel the seller has
Any help most appreciated, hint and tips.
Regards
Gunnar

638_1139255916.jpg

Gunnar Schroder

Reaction score
Fantastic Mike and thanks a lot for your help. I shall ask the seller over here for dimensions. Will keep in touch. C is higher of course but the other values correspond. .600 " = 15,2 mm so should fit. 15,2 mm is less than 5/8" and my dampers are set to trailer hauling.

Last edited:

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Fantastic Mike and thanks a lot for your help. I shall ask the seller over here for dimensions. Will keep in touch. C is higher of course but the other values correspond. .600 " = 15,2 mm so should fit. 15,2 mm is less than 5/8" and my dampers are set to trailer hauling.
8 1/4 A body is over 3 inches or 7.62CM shorter on the A distance than on an F body
51.4 inches vs 54.340 inches according to that chart

Gunnar Schroder

Reaction score
Point taken but the one I may lay my hands on come from a Diplomat scrapped two weeks ago. I wait for some pictures from him.
Thanks again for your support and help. We need more of your caliber these days.

SRTMirada

Reaction score
That chart isn't entirely correct. In 1980 FMJ body axles gained an inch (25.4mm) in width.

Ele115

Reaction score
When you looked at a Duster or Dart, they always looked like they had a "narrowed rear end". They sort of did

Gunnar Schroder

Reaction score
Here is the rear axel I can lay my hand on. Looks nice and not sure how much to offer the guy. Any advice most appreciated.
Not sure about the condition but spares to overhaul it from Rockauto seems to be in abundance. Tips and hints when you have time

Bakaksel 8,25 .jpg

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Here is the rear axel I can lay my hand on. Looks nice and not sure how much to offer the guy. Any advice most appreciated.
Not sure about the condition but spares to overhaul it from Rockauto seems to be in abundance. Tips and hints when you have time

View attachment 52149
I paid $100 for mine and it came with the police leaf spring shackles and the police rear sway bar pad mounts. So, add the overseas surcharge and I would say $300 US max if that's really a Diplomat rear axle. If that's a true A body 8 1/4 probably more than that

Gunnar Schroder

Reaction score
I paid $100 for mine and it came with the police leaf spring shackles and the police rear sway bar pad mounts. So, add the overseas surcharge and I would say $300 US max if that's really a Diplomat rear axle. If that's a true A body 8 1/4 probably more than that
Thanks for your information and it came from a Diplomat car dismantled 2 weeks ago. He may have some more stuff lying around and I shall offer him $ 200 - $ 300 for it. Nice and clean so maybe I am lucky. I have all parts for rebuilding the 7 1/4" one already but would prefer the larger axel as I may fit a towbar hitch on her. She came with that when I got her in 1990.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
The driveshaft is shorter.

$100 a great deal for an axle with the police suspension parts . People have posted the axle alone for more then that here before.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
The driveshaft is shorter.

$100 a great deal for an axle with the police suspension parts . People have posted the axle alone for more then that here before.
Real down to earth guy who has stuff in a field worth more than anything I'll ever own. He also had a factory 340 A Body for 2k. Needed floors. Not my thing, so I passed it along on the A body forum. Someone snapped it up. It's amazing what you can find out there by chance.

LSM360

Reaction score
Yes you will have to get your driveshaft shortened or use his IF he has same transmission as you. Early Police Diplomat could've had the 727 trans but his probably has A999 if it's a Police car so you could try and get his driveshaft too. I don't know if you have anyone over there to shorten a driveshaft for you. Hopefully his axle has 2.92 gears. They are much better than the 2.2's.

Gunnar Schroder

Reaction score
I will check everything when over to our house in Sweden. To find someone who may shorten it should be of minor problem in Sweden
hopefully!

Back