Rear end feels loose?

Voeltagear

Reaction score
What do you guys do to tighten up the rear of these f body cars. I have BF Goodrich radial TA tires and newer shocks but it feels like it moves side to side. Not slipping the tires, just side to side. And it doesn't roll a whole lot. Are all these rubber isolators really necessary?

Aspen500

Reaction score
You can put poly spring isolator pads and poly shackle bushings in. If you still have the stock oval front eye springs, you're stuck with rubber on those however.

My car has round front spring eyes and poly isolators. Put poly shackle bushings in this winter along with replacing the BFG T/A's with Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/T's. It had the loose feeling also. Due to crap Wisconsin weather, haven't had a chance to see if it made a difference yet.

You can also do an ISO delete where the axle is attached directly with out spring pads. Not sure how much it would do over poly isolators. No frame of reference here.

Camtron

Reaction score
I don’t have an F, but on my M, I deleted the leaf spring ISO bushings, installed 5 leaf leaf springs with poly eye and shackle bushings and the latest was added an AHB rear sway bar. Now the rear end actually feels connected to the car (something sub frame connectors will help even more). Before, it felt like driving with a small trailer whipping around trying to keep up with the rest of the car. A real wet noodle type feel.
On the other hand, as I’ve done the leaf spring ISO delete and added aluminum K-frame bushings and have really stiff shocks front and rear, I can tell you, there ain’t no cloud ride to be found; but the car handles damn well. New Borgeson steering box is next on my list.

It’s nice when you don’t have to be the car slowing everything down to make a right hand turn off the old back highway during rush hour.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Providing the bushings and springs are in good shape: solid mount the axles with B body shock plates, five leaf springs and a rear sway bar.

Voeltagear

Reaction score
I don’t have an F, but on my M, I deleted the leaf spring ISO bushings, installed 5 leaf leaf springs with poly eye and shackle bushings and the latest was added an AHB rear sway bar. Now the rear end actually feels connected to the car (something sub frame connectors will help even more). Before, it felt like driving with a small trailer whipping around trying to keep up with the rest of the car. A real wet noodle type feel.
On the other hand, as I’ve done the leaf spring ISO delete and added aluminum K-frame bushings and have really stiff shocks front and rear, I can tell you, there ain’t no cloud ride to be found; but the car handles damn well. New Borgeson steering box is next on my list.

It’s nice when you don’t have to be the car slowing everything down to make a right hand turn off the old back highway during rush hour.
Exactly the feeling I'm experiencing! Glad it's not my imagination

SRTMirada

Reaction score
Axle end play is another possibility. There is a shim kit available to fix it. Here are the instructions for it.

20200505_173048.jpg

Back