Rear shock cross member

Duke5A

Reaction score
Is the rear shock cross member on other cars only tacked to the frame rails? I can't believe it. The damn thing just flaps in the breeze. At first I though the welds to the floor broke, but it doesn't appear to have been assembled that way.

SRTMirada

Reaction score
My Mirada always made a strange boing sound when going over bumps. I couldn't find anything loose so I made a heavier version out of tubing since the crossmember seemed to be the flimsiest part in that area. I'm sure the shocks are more effective now and the sound is gone.

20161105_143700.jpg

Duke5A

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I am NOT looking forward to having to replace that. It's not making any noise....yet. I just discovered it installing a different set of shocks over the weekend. Suppose I'll run it for right now and see how it fares. This will be a next winter project.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
I've never noticed but never had a problem either.
I have seen the shock mounting points damaged from people using air shocks to compensate for sagging springs.

Lightning II

Reaction score
My Mirada always made a strange boing sound when going over bumps. I couldn't find anything loose so I made a heavier version out of tubing since the crossmember seemed to be the flimsiest part in that area. I'm sure the shocks are more effective now and the sound is gone.

View attachment 52289
1x1 tubing for the new crossmember?

SRTMirada

Reaction score
No, 1 1/2 x 1 1/2. A couple of installation tips: bolt the shocks on to locate the proper position, make sure the bolts can be removed, and check exhaust clearance.

20161111_163512.jpg

Back