Rear sway bar bracket mounting?

Erics5th

Reaction score
I got a sway bar for my '84 5th (already asked about bushings in another post). What I need to know now is how do I mount the U brackets onto the frame? I the car already has 4 holes on each side for this, but do I use self tapping bolts like the factory did, or do I drill them up full size and run a long bolt through the frame? :dontknow:

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
I thought they used a flat u-bolt that you slip through one hole and then out the other one so that the flat square part is inside the frame rail. That's how I did an after market PST one.

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
What I need to know now is how do I mount the U brackets onto the frame? The car already has 4 holes on each side for this, but do I use self tapping bolts like the factory did?

Use the self tappers, I think the factory ones were 5/16" self tappers.

Erics5th

Reaction score
Here you go.

5a7f653f.gif

Erics5th

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics

Yes sir.

Eric: I bought the complete (bar, brackets, shock plates, etc) from a guy that sells parts on Dippy.org. I couldn't find the proper fasteners to attach the frame brackets, so I used 3" bolts and nuts to attach them. The brackets are not straight like U channel. The outboard side is flat and a 90 degree angle to where the bushing brackets attach. The inboard sides goes past the frame so the bushings sit flat against the bracket. Did that make sence? Wish I still had the pictures I took on my phone....

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
I talked to billaz tonight and he comfirmed that the sub frame brackets have welded studs that are welded on the back of the bracket and that the bracket goes from wide to narrow on the other end. I confirmed this by looking underneath the car tonight.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Yes sir.

Eric: I bought the complete (bar, brackets, shock plates, etc) from a guy that sells parts on Dippy.org. I couldn't find the proper fasteners to attach the frame brackets, so I used 3" bolts and nuts to attach them. The brackets are not straight like U channel. The outboard side is flat and a 90 degree angle to where the bushing brackets attach. The inboard sides goes past the frame so the bushings sit flat against the bracket. Did that make sence? Wish I still had the pictures I took on my phone....
Did you have to deal with the hard brake line on the driver's side?

Erics5th

Reaction score
No, there was plenty of room for the bracket and bolts I used. I even drilled the holes to 3/8" and didn't hit the brake line.

Back