Rear View Mirror Question

JackVolareBeep

Reaction score
What is the correct width rear view mirror?... Was it the same from 76-80 on RR's and Petty, SC's, etc.?
I have seen 10 inch and 12 inch ones in cars

volare 1977

Reaction score
That`s a good one for Bud to answer. Inquiring minds would like to know. I always thought the originals were 10 IIRC.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Think I posted on this over at A&V. This is not an absolute but,,,,,my '79 originally had a non day/night mirror and it was 10". The '77 Volare I got my interior from way back when (30 years ago) had a day/night that's in my car now and it's 12".

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Not rocket science. Three mirrors used. Some early years show Day/Night STD later years optional.

Without a window sticker or pic from day one, pick which one you like.

Base 10 inch and 10 inch day night (Prismatic) and 12 inch Prism

Mostly higher end premiums got the big 12 inch Prismatic. And then there are the ones who just wanted a day/night or bigger mirror. 2 different types of base none adjustable used one like in my pic and the other a full flat back.

Anything can happen over 40 plus years. How many in a junkyard might of said... hmm this is a nicer mirror then mine?

ASP500 What does your 79 parts book show on mirrors, can you post pic?

The parts book uses tricky language.

DSC02698.JPG

DSC02696.JPG

00Z0Z_7dN1ozfep1w_1200x900.jpg

96367351_2662623597200794_2882225232335077376_n - Copy.jpg

G41.jpg

CI004.jpg

Last edited:

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Although this is for the Aspens it also applies to the Volares.

Any interior feature or option in 78 seemingly could fly.

This also explains outside the SC Brochure the issue many get confused about the premium interiors in the Super Coupes.

But from 78 up.... ANYTHING could be gotten interior wise. All one needs to do is look at the window sticker or on the tag to sort it out weather the interior code or just the seat code.

OR NOT??????

DSC02700.JPG

DSC02699.JPG

Aspen500

Reaction score
The '79 parts catalog shows only the prismatic mirror and says it's 10". No mention of non-prismatic at all, other than for Omni/Horizon that is.

What it seems, to me anyways, is the OP's '77 could have had either size mirror, depending on if it was Prismatic or not (?)

Here's a pic of it:

DSC00540.JPG

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
My '77 wagon has the STD mirror. I really miss having the prismatic - but can't seam to remember looking for one when the chance arises (sigh).

Unless you can find a broadcast sheet (which are rare) or have the original window sticker, who will know that you have the wrong mirror in your car? It is not something I would look for, even if I was buying, or judging your car in a car show, unless the car was worth $200k or more (which wouldn't be an FMJ in that case...).

Thank you X and Aspen for answering his question.

Buy the way, there is almost nothing that fits an L-body (Omni or Horizon (M/Z)) that fits anything else Chrysler made - except for a few random fasteners. Those cars are so odd-ball even compared to Chrysler's other FWD cars.
BudW

Aspen500

Reaction score
I know, I had a '78 Omni 024 for about a year, back in the early '90's. Odd little cars with nothing in common with any other Mopar for the most part. Mine had the infamous VW 1.7L and automatic. Not exactly neck snapping acceleration, but at least it got crappy (for the size of the car) mileage, about 20 avg.o_O

80mirada

Reaction score
The Omni and Horizon were Americanized versions of the Simca Horizon, that Chrysler's European group developed for the European market. Very little was regular Chrysler in them.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Here is sending some hurt to Japan. Hurt like one of these for a proven civic... ha ha ha... we fixed them. Maybe.

jap.jpg

Aspen500

Reaction score
The Omni and Horizon were Americanized versions of the Simca Horizon, that Chrysler's European group developed for the European market. Very little was regular Chrysler in them.
European design........................That explains a lot. Being an auto tech, when I hear the term "European design", I cringe.

Back