rearr quarter extensions

tim berry

Reaction score
I had a meeting with a mold maker and injection molding /:proto type service .
How many folks need a good alternative to replica plastic junk for a Cordoba

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I do not - but if there was a location for a decent source for quarters, I might be interested in getting a J body (which has been one of my hold backs).
BudW

Yellowdart

Reaction score
I probably would. i went on their website. Looks like they mostly do custom type products. i haven't contacted them yet.

tim berry

Reaction score
Troy the gentleman said he will work a price after I have the body work done . he said he can make a quote by the finished weight of the extention .
I'm interested in his reply as to cost I do not think it's gonna be cheap . What do you think a reasonable cost would be seeing the last set I saw for sale on ebay (many yrs ago ) sold for 1000 $ . Personally I would spend it to never have the issue again.

Ele115

Reaction score
I would love to see some good bumper fillers for the 76 Coronet, 77-78 Fury etc. They are impossible to find and the factory ones weren't even that good.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
It has to reflect the honest value of the car itself. Over price the parts, no one will buy it and the hobby will suffer, or at least the restoring and preserving of these cars will be reduced. I would think 4-500 is a good range to promote sales. Once products are available these cars will get more attention.

Ele115

Reaction score
When you make these parts, the fixed costs have to be recovered. They are non-negotiable. The less you sell, the more per unit the sale price is because the fixed cost is spread over fewer units. There is also a lot of risk that the fixed costs are not even recovered at all. Often people say they will buy X ammount then vanish, buy less or whatever. Don't confuse fixed costs with the per unit costs which stay steady once the fixed costs are recovered, like the materials costs, electricity etc. It's hard to get someone to take this kind of a risk

Dr.Go!

Reaction score
I would be interested in the 3 separate part rear sections for a 1981 for a somewhat fair price. I am ready for a real solution to a losing battle. Mine are cracking and paint is now coming off. Hope you have success and spread the word!

Rockford Cordoba

Reaction score
Greetings! I would like a set for a 1982 Cordoba!!! Mine only has 10,015 original miles but both sides just fell apart. Car is perfect except for the rear fender extensions. Good luck finding more people that need them! Might be worth making a few dozen extras to market after. Keep me posted, Please! Thank You!

droptop

Reaction score
Would 3D printing be an option? I know you have to have a near perfect part to start with, but that is the problem to begin with.

tim berry

Reaction score
3 D printing is not an option at this time .
the mold making / injection process is expensive .
There is no way I could front the money myself . knowing how small a market there is for these cars . once my masters are perfect then I can get a per unit price quote from the company.
Then based on demand is what the cost would be to all . I don't know any other way to do this and get the job done .
I'm not personally looking to make a profit from this.
It's an answer to a question.
If you have these cars you do or are going to need these parts .
After what I saw at the injection molding company there is no doubt this is a solution for the need . But obviously price is going to be dictated by demand.
Last set I saw on Ebay 10 ish yrs ago sold for a 1000 $.
Personally for me it's expensive but would be worth the investment, especially if you have a really nice rust free car .
Any thoughts?

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Maybe this is the type of thing to stsrt a go fund me type deal for and post about it at moparts and other sites.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Mike I don't do go fund anything . For a whole lot of reasons .
It was just an idea. Every time something like this comes up there always seem to be people thst say they're interested, then if actually happens they usually disappear or its not a good time for them to buy. At least with the funding there's more of a chance of it happening, figure out with the msnufacturer what cost per unit they'd need and then at least you know the money is there so you can go back with the cash to get it done.

Dr.Go!

Reaction score
I am still interested. I want to keep my car and these deteriorating parts is what makes it look neglected. I wonder how many sets would sell if J body fans knew they were sitting available in a swap booth at Mopar Nationals or Chryslers at Carlisle? Just don't know how many people saved these cars. I would think Mirada owners might want the same, but I am thinking they have different dimensions?

johnnyride

Reaction score
I'd be interested if they undertake this. I worked in the plastics industry for years, so I know what it would take. I can't imaging they would create a mold to injection mold the piece. Unless they can create a short-term disposable mold out of sand or something. Real molds can cost up to $100,000. I wonder if they could create a cheap mold and thermoform the parts. You can make those kind of molds out of anything. Issue with thermoforming is it is not as precise and can warp (which is why our OEM parts have the injection molded plastic frame in there).

I hope they can make this work, but I'd see a price of around $750-$1000. The way I look at it, a proper fitting part will save you a ton of time and body shop work. If you are using a body shop, that can cost a lot making the current stuff fit. My body guy gave up and used my a set of older original ones I had hoarded (but were all there) and rebuilt over them. Holding up so far, fingers crossed

jasperjacko

Reaction score
thermoforming is a real option as well as a 2 part urethane pour.

Back