Recommend a Coat

Justwondering

Reaction score
I need a recommendation for a coat.
My brother is 6 foot 3 inches and about 220.
So generally slim with long arms and long waisted.

Every time we look for a coat and he holds his arms out the sleeves are about 2 to 3 inches too short. If I find one that fits him in length, its huge around his middle.

Just looking for a regular coat not some fancy, schmancy latest technology.

Any help would be appreciated.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Lands End offers a nice selection of coats in tall sizes.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Is there a big and tall men's store in town? Doubt you'll find more than average sizes at ShopKo, Target, etc......
I have that problem with pants. Need a 30 waist and 32 inseam. Seems all I find are sizes for fat guys with short legs, lol. If I had a 42 waist and 30 inseam, jeans for days.

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
Is there a big and tall men's store in town? Doubt you'll find more than average sizes at ShopKo, Target, etc......
I have that problem with pants. Need a 30 waist and 32 inseam. Seems all I find are sizes for fat guys with short legs, lol. If I had a 42 waist and 30 inseam, jeans for days.
Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy ... I resemble that remark ... lol

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I ton't know if you get them in your part of the world, but the best winter coats are Columbia, Stormtech, and Carhartt. Carhartt are really good, but expensive. The other two brands are really good, too. I think BassPro Shops carries the Columbia brand.

As for stores, BassPro Shops and Cabela's have a good selection. They are both US chains, so they should be down in your area.

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
On the Circle of the earth, Southern Man,Canada
Up here we have Big-N-Tall shops

I was a 28/29 waist from the age of 13 'til just after I got married.
But mt inseam of course changed quite a bit during that time. My mum, God bless her, kept lengthening the cuffs as I grew, so I wouldn't look like a girl in peddle-pushers.Well, my jackets got the same treatment.The pants only had to last a year and change, cuz well, I was a boy. But the parkas were a long-term investment, on account of my brother was 4 years my junior.Shoes were a big deal, cuz you can't alter them. She made such a fuss as I outgrew them pretty regularly from a certain age. But not like my sister.... her feet went from girl feet to adult size in about one summer. Man I was embarrassed to be seen with her for a while cuz of her humongous feet. She did eventually grow into them about 4 years later.
Long story short, I know you're a busy woman, with a lot on your plate,but have you given any thought to having a coat altered?Maybe by an outside source?

Last edited:

Justwondering

Reaction score
AJ/FormS --
I hear you on the alterations. I've already patched his elbows and put binding on the frayed edges. I think its time to retire this one to a work coat and get him started on a new one for the next decade. He's probably had this one about 15 years or so.

I can relate to your sister's feet. I was 5 foot 2 in the third grade. Finally grew into my size 9 feet in high school. Never did make 6 foot, my cousin did. She grew too tall to comfortably fit in a cockpit so had to give up the air force pilot dream.

When we grew up there was no stigma to hand-me-downs. All my cousins and siblings shared clothes as they out grew them. Especially the kids since the growth spurts made clothes too small in just months. Lot different now days.

And made our own clothes. I've got fabric in there calling my name -- a hawaiian shirt for hubby and brother for next spring. But I'm off topic.

Will let you know when I find a great deal that fits... lol

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
On the Circle of the earth, Southern Man,Canada
HYup , I am the eldest of 5. But Dad was a middle child, and a favorite. He had 7 brothers and 7 sisters. There were plenty of hand-me-downs, for everybody. Mom had three older sisters,more hand-me-downs. And from us whatever survived continued,on it's merry way.
I passed that on to my kids who are now passing it along to the grandkids. I got three now,the eldest is 2.5ish, the youngest is 4 months. There is talk of a few more coming, but I think it's gonna top out at 5 or maybe 6.My one daughter has decided to not have kids, and is going to be 37 in spring, so yeah, her clock is kindof running out. My dad had 5 kids and 23 grandkids.So you can clearly see the down-sizing trend; from 15 kids in Dad's family,to me having 5 siblings,to me having 3kids, to each of mine having just zero to 2 maybe 3. Another generation and there will be no young people to take care of us when we get old and feeble.I guess they will hook us up to machines and ...... oh-boy, I don't even want to think about stuff like that.
I used to say before I became a believer,that when I got older I was gonna cement in a sword in the backyard somewhere, and when check-out time came, I was gonna go lean on it, till it came out the other side.
Well, as a Believer,I read that's very wrong.
Well, it also says there are rewards for enduring to the end, so.......IDK.
I take heart in the verse that says Moses went to be with his ancesters. How poetic.It also says that there was nothing wrong with Moses up to that day.And if I remember right he was well over a hundred years old;120ish kindof rings a bell. So he was old but not feeble, handed over the Israelites to Joshua,and went to be with his ancestors, never to be seen in the Bible again. I like that story so much.
But another good story is Caleb's story. Caleb shows up at Mose's tent one day and says something like this; I am 85 years old this day and as vigorous as when we first arrived here, (the first time was 40plus years earlier), now give me my inheritance. He was promised a certain area in the Promised Land where the Giants lived, and he was ready to go claim it! Yeah that's a good story too.
Those guys were blessed, for sure.

Last edited:
Back