Reluctor gap distance? HELP!

slant6billy

Reaction score
I've got a few different distributors for a small block. Some out of running cars and some unknown origin. What is the gap for the reluctor supposed to be? I have one that is .010 and I have one almost .0035

Now, these are all small block mopar. However, the made in USA is only on one. One looks like an MSD , but I think it is a Chinese knock off.

One is a Firecore off a 340 that was a healthy runner.

Any help?

Aspen500

Reaction score
Reluctor gap should be .006" using a non-magnetic feeler gauge (brass). Set it for light drag and then be sure a .008 gauge will NOT slide in using VERY light force.
If you're not aware of it, trying to set the air gap with a steel feeler gauge is about impossible to be accurate.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
You almost have to take the top plate off or loosen it, so you can look at the weights – which will tell you if you got one of the cheap Chinese knockoffs, or not.

Sometimes you can see the weight thickness by removing the vacuum advance, only – but not often can I do that (slot is too narrow to look into, most of the time).

I have a pretty good eye and can tell, by looks, if a distributor is from Chrysler, or not.

I will say Chinese distributors are not worth a darn – except to get a car moved off of the used car lot. The thin weights they use, makes the timing jump around like Mexican jumping beans during a bad earthquake.

The bad news is most of the later Mopar Performance distributors are Chinese knockoffs (made in last 20-25 years).

Back