Remarkable Evolution

Justwondering

Reaction score
Its been about a year since I joined this forum.
Using my index cards, service manual, sharpie and duct tape to identify and label parts so I'd know sorta what to ask about.
Learning about hidden bolts, proper way to run hoses, butt-splicing wiring, and much more.

I was just looking at craigslist last night.
Why?
My 2000 Chevy Silverado has 261,+++ miles one it, runs well, and no payments.
The driver seat is fried, the passenger seat needs replacing, some plastic bits are cracking, and the rear bumper / passenger truck bed fender have been whacked many times.

Once I saw how much money new parts cost especially when you factor in the shipping, it occurred to me I should buy a roller/project truck and remove the parts I want and salvage the rest.

Then I chuckle to myself.

Is this still me? I am actually sitting here contemplating this as a reasonable option. Not worrying about where to get the money to have someone 'fix' the truck. Not assuming that the only option is to salvage the truck and get another one.

Just a remarkable evolution thanks to everyone here on the forum. You folks rock!

rcmaniac791

Reaction score
It truly is amazing the possibilities when you're not relying on a shop. For example, I purchased 2 John Deere LX173 mowers off craigslist for my Landscaping business. paid $500 for BOTH. Put some tender loving care into them, and they've made me way more money than what I've spent on them.

I think I can speak for everyone on here, but we are glad to help!

slant6billy

Reaction score
If you are willing to listen, willing to learn, and willing to try... you can do it! Trouble is people are afraid to fail. I never aced a test in school. I knew kids that aced test without trying. They got to some expensive college only to fail out. Folks can't handle driving an older car and call it status ugly or unreliable. I call it being smart money. run with some tools, some spare parts, an old blanket to lay on. Electrical test light some splices or connectors.... etc- just be prepared. Even a backyard Budweiser mechanic like me can screw up. Just tonight my lugs loosened on the SS/T, I forgot to go back yesterday and check and recheck. Pulled over on my way home and checked with the lug star and ...... yep driverside was loosey goosey. could have gone bad, but I stopped and check the simple thing first. If you are patient, you will succeed!

Aspen500

Reaction score
Yes, we are always glad to help. As with anything, the only way you learn to do it is to,,,,,,,,,,,,well,,,,,,,,,,, do it.

lowbudget

Reaction score
You've impressed me and that's hard to do.

I'm lucky I have a friend with his own Mopar salvage yard. Only 2 m bodies, 1 F body but all the 70's pick up, A body and Cummins stuff that I will ever need. I do have 2 F body parts cars that I got from him though.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I was thinking today (yeah I know, look out). I've been working on cars since I could walk, literally (car family) and doing it professionally since 1983 and things I do now without even thinking about it would scare me 30 years ago.

Example: Finished up a timing chain job on a 2011 GMC Acadia 3.6L today. You basically unbolt the drivetrain/front suspension/subframe assy and lift the vehicle off of it, then take half the engine (overhead cam) apart to replace the chains, guides and tensioners and then reverse procedure. Got all done, fired it up and while waiting for the t-stat to open and all the air to get out of the cooling system I realized, didn't even remember doing the job yet it's done.

Two possibilities are I've been doing it long enough to be comfortable tearing into anything OR,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I've been doing it way too long and am going senile:eek:

7T8 Custom

Reaction score
Autopilot. I have the same thing happen to me on repair jobs I`ve done a hundred or more times. You can do the entire job without even thinking about it.

brotherGood

Reaction score
Same boat here...growing up, I liked cars..but was never on a position to work on them. Then once I got my license, and started doing my own oil changes, changing light bulbs, etc. It wasn't until I got my diplomat in 2010 that I started wanting to work on anything more than that. So that led me to painting headlight bezels, grille, taillights, wheels..that sort of thing. Then I went to tackling hoses, brake lines, fuel lines, plugs, compression tests..everything in learning through the forums, and using that car as the guinea pig.

I wouldn't have thought before good car that I'd be learning how to tune an engine, contemplating changing axles, rebuilding front suspensions, transmissions, doing body work, rewiring the dash..but not only is that on the list of things to do/learn..I'm actually looking forward to it.

Heck, im even working on other people's stuff..all thanks to forums.

Back