Remove A/C Compressor - 87 Fifth Avenue

Master M

Reaction score
That is one reason I don't turn in or throw away an original part until all is put back together and running good. A good local rebuilder is nice because they are there if you have a problem. You are getting excellent advice. Don't be tempted to shear those locks even though the heat and humidity are up !!

Justwondering

Reaction score
I think I just need to set up a fan. Or maybe just dunk my head in the frog water so I can slick it back...lol

Justwondering

Reaction score
I've now learned two more amazing facts.

1. Assume all bolt holes are kludgd with new paint or gunk and clean them before you try running the bolts in.

2. If you spit on your glasses to clean them, they don't fog up as quickly.

Started the install at 7:15 pm but the temp was 96F and the humidity was 67% so I couldn't see much between the fogged up lenses of my glasses and the sweat dripping down my face.

Gave up at dark and started again this morning. Had everything in by 7:45 a.m.

Have to wait til next week for the mechanic to review my work and charge the system. Too many folks with car issues this week, he's been working til 9 each night.

Also, I left the tools out and the hood slightly ajar so I could just step back into this project this morning. Meanwhile, last night between 8:50 pm and 6:30 am ,, a packrat moved in. Stripped more of the black insulation off the underside of the hood, put a nest together under the air handler . Right in the middle of the crankcase just behind the a/c compressor was a fantastic nest: insulation, sticks, leaves, bark, a small mound of old acorns. Pooped over by the windshield wiper fluid bottle. Sigh.

I think its payback for me killing super-mouse last month. Its probably his cousin.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Something I found that helps me (also having (thick) glasses, easy to fog, hard to get air flow) is to place a fan (or fans) by you while working. Larger is always better.

I have a large one that rests on ground (or on a table). Also have a desk top swivel one that gets job done but not as well as other one does.

Having a fan on a 5 foot tall pedestal would be good, as well.

A fan also keeps bugs at bay.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Then she would have all of that hair blowing in her face, if she used a fan.:D

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I was thinking she had it in a ponytail, Rapunzel style, maybe.

Justwondering

Reaction score
I probably should braid this hair, might keep it from wapping me in the face when I drop bolts on the ground and have to get down and back up again. I swear it must look like a comedy show when I work on a vehicle.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I swear it must look like a comedy show when I work on a vehicle.
I try to get my 9 year old twins to play outside when I’m working on the car (for that very reason).
A. I can get them to pick up bolts, screws, etc. – but after 3 or so, they take off.

B. In attempt to get them involved in learning something about the cars. So far, no luck there, yet

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
20160528_174245r.jpg

If you notice, they are already wanting the car keys.
They are about 85% Mexican, which we adapted 8 years ago (family, a couple of notches over).

Darth-Car

Reaction score
View attachment 16282
They are about 85% Mexican, which we adapted 8 years ago.

Bud, I have always considered you a competent wrencher, but your adaptation of these twins did not go well. They do not match, one is a boy, and the other is a girl.:D

Stick with the cars my friend. -Really cute family you have there.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Look what showed up on the glue trap I left on the front floor board of the car:
IMG_4741.jpg

Mouse, wasp and a cricket.
Looks like the cousin to the super mouse I trapped earlier.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I can see bugs getting in, but how (from where) is the rodent?

Justwondering

Reaction score
Chrysler is down at the mechanics to review my mahvelous wrenching on the compressor and to put in the refrigerant. More news soon, I hope.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Mouse could go under the rubber cowl drain flap located above the wheel well, under the hood. Then he could slip in through the air intake for the ventilation system, and slide his way out a heater vent, under the dash.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Mice could get into a hermetically sealed Mason jar and build a nest. I think they can move through solid matter somehow.

Looks like the glue trap scared the crap out of him/her! :p

Master M

Reaction score
Look what showed up on the glue trap I left on the front floor board of the car:
View attachment 16346
Mouse, wasp and a cricket.
Looks like the cousin to the super mouse I trapped earlier.

Looks like the mouse did a good job of exploding. But I like to see your getting your moneys worth out of the trap. The question is which one tried the trap out first ???

Back