Residential Elevator Recommendation

Justwondering

Reaction score
The time has come to install an elevator in our home so my hubby can get up to the 2nd floor more easily.

Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions?
Perhaps you have some advice for me so I don't get burned.

We've discussed a chairlift, but if/when a wheelchair become mandatory, I'll still have to go with an elevator so I'm just considering options... seems smarter to bypass the chairlift and just go with the elevator.

Thanks in advance,
Bekasu

slant6billy

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. Chair/ stair lift seems to be the cheaper way. We had to convert my parents house to downstair living. We converted the family room to a bedroom since it was smaller than the living room. We put a very wide shower stall between the laundry room and downstairs 1/2 bathroom. It was hard to describe, but it looked good and with the pool out the back, the shower stall came in handy. My neighbor next door just sold his house to get a rancher style house since his leg is going to get removed by the years end due to some weird wound that won't heal. Climbing steps was not in his future, so he sold the house. I know these ain't the answers you were looking for, but just other experienced options

Justwondering

Reaction score
We had originally planned for a chair lift, but I'm going for the elevator.
Our construction is 12" and 14" steel ibeams and 4x4 1/4 inch posts. So there is plenty of 'heft' for adding an exterior elevator off the veranda... then just close it in to keep the vermin out.

Just been reading about all the options and ruling in / ruling out things.

Aspen500

Reaction score
There are stair lifts that can transport a wheelchair up the steps. The platform then can fold up against the wall for full use of the stairs.
An elevator will be expensive, as I'm sure you already know. I've seen lifts that are similar to an elevator but quite a bit less expensive. They are approved only to go from the 1st to 2nd floor (not like basement all the way to a 2nd or 3rd floor for example).
Whichever you go with, research the company that makes the equipment and the installing contractors fully. If possible, go see a couple of their installations and talk to the people that own it. Check for any unresolved complaints, the BBB, etc.................
There's an episode of "Holmes Makes it Right" called "A Lift Up" that shows the stair lift.
Holmes Makes it Right Video - A Lift Up | Episode 12 - HGTV.ca

Justwondering

Reaction score
So far my research has me leaning toward a hydraulic with counter-weight.
The new 'green' gearless units are vampire electric ... drawing power when at rest or in use.

I'd do the stair lift, but only 1 person can use it at a time which assumes the person in the wheelchair has the mobility to get themselves off the lift or on the lift by themselves. I can't assume that.

So I'm looking at elevators. Looking and researching.

Back