Riddle me this: Why does the speaker holes on the rear deck not sit aligned with each other?

slant6billy

Reaction score
The speaker hole on the pass side is perfectly symetric. The driverside is catewonga (not parallel) to the pass side. The middle hole- yes there is one and it ain't straight either.

ANYONE KNOW WHY? I surely can't figure it.......

BHA43

Reaction score
My guess is spare tire clearance? There were diff spare tire offerings so they had to clear them all!

The speaker hole on the pass side is perfectly symetric. The driverside is catewonga (not parallel) to the pass side. The middle hole- yes there is one and it ain't straight either.

ANYONE KNOW WHY? I surely can't figure it.......

slant6billy

Reaction score
I've not drank in years. No real reason. not religious. Just noticed that on Saturdays, junkyards close at 1 pm. By the time I stop feeling shitty, its 7 pm Sunday night. So the weekend would get lost on a few beers from friday night. So I'm this annoying SOBER. Or as my wife says, " Powdered asshole, just add alcohol and instant asshole". And she married this asshole. Lets just say, I get to play with mopars and the wife doesn't pour gasoline on them.... it's a very good marrage. Keeping the alcohol out of the scene, keeps everyone happy and safe.
Back to that question: the 76 and 77 have symetric speaker holes on the back deck. The 78, 79 and 80 have the left and middle angled slightly- Can't figure out why.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Could be residual effect. :icon_biggrin:

Booze can have a lasting effect.
Honestly, never really noticed the speaker thing.
Now I'm gonna have to look at mine.

F body Deconstructor Jim

Reaction score
Ross is correct. The middle has always been for the rear window blower and also been turned.
No idea why the speaker openings rotated 90* between 77 and 78 somewhere. Doubt it was for spare tire clearance since it didnt really move the speaker much.

80 Aspen RT

Reaction score
Could be residual effect. :icon_biggri

Booze can have a lasting effect.
Honestly, never really noticed the speaker thing.
Now I'm gonna have to look at mine.

I was just joking, I have to agree with Captain , I never paid any attention :)

slant6billy

Reaction score
My 76 had the speaker (One) in the rear deck and I added a stereo. The speakers did not protrude through the cardboard. My sister's 77 Aspen came with the factory stereo and similar - did not protrude through. My 78 supercoupe was trashed when I got it, so it was not obvious. The remaining: 79 plymouth f body coupe has this and it is obvious due the glowing blue LEDs in the speaker's cones- Not my thing folks but the guy was very close with disco/ hip hop or some kind of electric dance thing. Anyway..... I'm more of Jensen 6 by 9 triacs with Black Sabbath Volume 4 pumping through the 35 watts.

80 Aspen RT

Reaction score
Huh......you are correct sir....here is my Super Coupe. They arn't the same.

032.jpg
030.jpg

032.jpg

030.jpg

tim berry

Reaction score
if your gonna play vol 4 then the rest of the catalogue must be in the 8 track case ,great choice of tunes

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Who knows,
Maybe some big shot at Chrysler was sh*tfaced drunk and convinced another drunk big shot that his James Last cassette sounded WAY better if you turned the speakers.

YY1

Reaction score
That's a genetic legacy from the 68-70 B body.

One parallel, one perpendicular.

Kind of endearing....like left handed lug nuts...

...and the Mob Rules (RIP [if you choose to do so] RJ Dio)

Last edited:

slant6billy

Reaction score
You ask for it..... see my pic posted of Vol4 Black Sabbath on 8 track in the F-body. That was right after dinner tonight.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Black on black interior and my 8 track player. This works people!

100_1418.jpg
this will get an A/B switch to go to the MP3 and satellite receiver

100_1418.jpg

Back