Roller cam

Darter6

Reaction score
New to the site,I'm sure these questions have been asked many times BUT,, What year did they go to roller cams in the 318/360 engines.??
Also would a 84 318 have a steel crank ? engine was from a Dippy.
Thanks in advance !!

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
I think it was 87 where the regular 318's went to roller cams.
I went back and re-read his question and this is what I found.

The throttle-body fuel-injected 318 motor had a few changes for its model year (1988), which would come to the 360 in 1989.
First, Chrysler finally switched from standard hydraulic lifters (and matching camshaft) over to a roller hydraulic lifter and a new matching camshaft. The roller design allowed for a steeper cam profile, and thus a more precise valve-train actuation.
Second, the 2 barrel TPI fuel injection intake replaced the carburetor. Third… the heads were different; the basic casting is the same, but the fine points were not. To make better use of the fuel injection, swirl intake ports were introduced. To accommodate a slightly changed pushrod angle (the new roller lifters were taller than the standard hydraulics), the push rod guide holes in the cylinder heads were changed from roughly 0.5 inches to a published 0.66 inches (Dodge DW Series Truck Factory Service Manual, 1988). Upon measurement, this was confirmed to within an accuracy of 0.01 inches. Push rod length changed from about 7.5” down to 6.78”, and diameter shrunk from 0.360” to 0.3125” (again to accommodate the changed push rod angle).

Darter6

Reaction score
Thanks for the info,, Just a little puzzled though. This is what I got. 318, 84 casting date, 2bbl carb, roller cam, 302 heads, out of a basic 85 Diplomat. The balancer has nothing printed on it about a cast crank. So even though a cast crank, is it internal balanced ? I plan on replacing a 360 in a 88 with the teen. The 360 was toasted by the last owner that over heated it and just kept driving till it quit.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
If you are telling us that this is how it is listed for sale or do you really have it or is someone telling you what this has in it. No roller cam in a stock 84 318. I doubt the stock head was a 302 either.

Darter6

Reaction score
Got it complete less carb, pulled it apart to re-gasket and that is what I found. I know that when it comes to mopar anything is possible. I will try to take photos in the next few days.:dontknow:
Cool Aspen, I bought one new in 76, It was between that and a red/white/& blue Sprit of 76 Dart. Went with the Aspen (white) with a V8 over the 6 in the Dart. Again I thank you for your info.

ramenth

Reaction score
According to my sources '85 was the first year for the roller cam set up in pass cars. '88 in pick ups and the 360.

ramenth

Reaction score
I went back and re-read his question and this is what I found.

The throttle-body fuel-injected 318 motor had a few changes for its model year (1988), which would come to the 360 in 1989.
First, Chrysler finally switched from standard hydraulic lifters (and matching camshaft) over to a roller hydraulic lifter and a new matching camshaft. The roller design allowed for a steeper cam profile, and thus a more precise valve-train actuation.
Second, the 2 barrel TPI fuel injection intake replaced the carburetor. Third… the heads were different; the basic casting is the same, but the fine points were not. To make better use of the fuel injection, swirl intake ports were introduced. To accommodate a slightly changed pushrod angle (the new roller lifters were taller than the standard hydraulics), the push rod guide holes in the cylinder heads were changed from roughly 0.5 inches to a published 0.66 inches (Dodge DW Series Truck Factory Service Manual, 1988). Upon measurement, this was confirmed to within an accuracy of 0.01 inches. Push rod length changed from about 7.5” down to 6.78”, and diameter shrunk from 0.360” to 0.3125” (again to accommodate the changed push rod angle).

Careful who you quote, Eric. Allpar's like wikipedia. And just as about full of shit sometimes.

Darter6

Reaction score
Looks like the 10-26-84 date sounds right for a 85 car.
When you get something for free it's kinda neat to find this when you open it up.First time to see the swirl port head and roller set up,up close. Again I thank you for all the info as it makes me understand all the things Mopar has done and changes made through the years.
My age is showing (stuck in the 60's) I guess...

88truck_1.jpg

88truck_2.jpg

88truck_3.jpg

88truck_4.jpg

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
Just love seeing someone tear into a teen . I think these motor's are thee most incredible motors I'd seen yet . Only thing I wished is that ma mopar would've done something with the versatility thing , ya know , compression , horsepower , and different cubes between the 273 up to the 360 .

Btw, I do have a question for ya .

Do you money invested in those heads ? Don't get me wrong 302's are great heads , but I believe the 308's have larger runners .

Darter6

Reaction score
No money at all. This is a low buck build,, More like bottom of the barrel build. Give everything a good cleaning and gaskets. Heads have good guides so a quickie valve job,seals and bolt back on. Just need a driver for now.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Guys, My F- body coupe was a 225 with a 2bbl, someone stuffed an 85 Dip cop car motor and trans in her. Now, It has some cam work, but don't know - no paper work. I'd really like to think it has the roller. I can get some block numbers- any hint or clues. I really don't want to rip open the motor because she is running real strong and it doesn't make sense to mess with a good thing. thanks

YY1

Reaction score
Those swirl heads allowed the comp to be put back up to 9:1.
A little shaving and thin gaskets could bump it closer to 9.5.
Not to shabby for "smog" motor.
There are some roller cams $$ available, and I've heard you can even run a "Magnum" cam with an adaptor.

jimmyray

Reaction score
Those swirl heads allowed the comp to be put back up to 9:1.
A little shaving and thin gaskets could bump it closer to 9.5.
Not to shabby for "smog" motor.
There are some roller cams $$ available, and I've heard you can even run a "Magnum" cam with an adaptor.

Correct. The magnum cam has a different snout length, and will not accommodate the fuel pump eccentric, since it was fuel injected with an electric fuel pump.

Back