rubber rot in the quarter extensions

tim berry

Reaction score
Ya i was thinking the same thing one thing i found out was you can smooth out the parts with vaporized acitone sound dangerous but not realy . Any way here are the first photos of the extentions im filling the cracks with epoxie then fiber glassing the insides . The support structure is plastic and also stapled to the extention just in case you need to deal with them on on your cars . Also i have those nasty ones from replica plastics they are junk but if you had to use them they need some work . ( and i might if this doesnt work)

20140809_154408.jpg

20140809_154348.jpg

tim berry

Reaction score
Ok here is the next installment . What i have done so far is to epoxy the cracks to stabilize the right extention with jb weld ( probably not the best way it takes too long to set ) i have sin
since bought a 3m product for urathane bumper covers ,ill give that a try on the left side today i remounted the extention to the rear quarter so i could lock in the shape while i reinforce the peice more from the back side with resin and fiberglass mat so far so good . Here is some photos

20140818_153331.jpg

20140818_153303.jpg

20140818_153252.jpg

20140818_153232.jpg

20140818_153217.jpg

Last edited:

tim berry

Reaction score
Also here is some info for the folks that bought the replica plastics crap parts . This is what i have found out about the parts and the moulding process the guy used . Frist off for those that have not seen these parts you can not put these on without modifying and reworking the parts extensively . Second when he molded these parts they were not molded on the car thats why they do not fit ( not even close ) DO NOT BUY THESE UNLESS YOUVE GOT PATENCE AND TIME TO REWORK THEM ! Anyway what im trying acomplish is the make bolt on no bs extentions so if this works out to my satisfaction anybody who needs the will have another source and i will be looking for the interior parts that support the quater extention so they can be integeral with the new parts . I will post photos of the replica plastic pieces to show how bad these fit once the originals can be removed .

72Dodge

Reaction score
Nice! I have the repop ones (they were already on my car when I got it)... I wish I had originals to even work with, but I don't. I may be interested in some of yours when they're ready, we'll see how I feel about it whenever that happens. I could post pics later of my repop ones on the car if anyone is interested, but I have no idea how much work was done to them. They still don't fit real well yet, but for my street/strip purposes, they're "okay". It seems to me that basically, they're just too "big", as in, they stick up above the top of the quarter, and also below the bottom of the quarter also. It's almost like a mold was made OVER the originals, so they're about a half inch or more too large. Terrible fit. Most people would never notice at a glance, but I know it's like that.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Nice! I have the repop ones (they were already on my car when I got it)... I wish I had originals to even work with, but I don't. I may be interested in some of yours when they're ready, we'll see how I feel about it whenever that happens. I could post pics later of my repop ones on the car if anyone is interested, but I have no idea how much work was done to them. They still don't fit real well yet, but for my street/strip purposes, they're "okay". It seems to me that basically, they're just too "big", as in, they stick up above the top of the quarter, and also below the bottom of the quarter also. It's almost like a mold was made OVER the originals, so they're about a half inch or more too large. Terrible fit. Most people would never notice at a glance, but I know it's like that.
i think they molded them in play-dough p.s. the cordoba and mirada parts are different.

tim berry

Reaction score
72dodge please post the photos so i can see what they look like on your car so i compare notes . I thought the same thing about being molded over but they would be huge the ones i have are the right size just totaly the wrong form .

72Dodge

Reaction score
Interesting. I will get some pics up soon then. I should note, I don't really know for a fact the one on my car are the ones you're talking about, but I've never heard of any other repops other than the whole rear end one. You know what, now that I think of it, my car had a VFN hood scoop on it, so it's possible it's the VFN whole rear fiberglass cap that has had the bumper cover and center section cut out of it. That actually makes even more sense. At any rate, it's made of fiberglass. Other than the slightly-too-large fit (and the fiberglass seems a little more thin at the edges than I'd really like), I'm not unhappy with it. It seems durable enough, relative to the original pieces I guess.

To jasperjacko's note, I do know that Mirada and Cordoba pieces are different, I was thinking you (tim) were making Mirada pieces since all the pics (that others posted) earlier in the thread were of Miradas... are you making Cordoba pieces? (EDIT: I see now you have a 1980 Cordoba, so those wouldn't work for me... maybe if you later make Mirada pieces, but it's not critical for me, mine are workable, just not a real factory fit.)

72Dodge

Reaction score
Here's the pics of whatever is on my car, as promised. Again, I don't know if these are the Replica Plastics repops or a cut-up VFN rear piece, or something else. I have no idea. But they are fiberglass. I guess the fit isn't quite exactly "too large" as much as it is just that most of the bodylines don't line up very well. The main thing is on the driver's side, the top is a good quarter inch above the top of the quarter panel (the first two pics), then on both sides, the bottom is a little too short (high). They're certainly serviceable for my street/strip car, but whatever they are, for someone expecting perfect/factory/show, they would definitely be a disappointment. Before I Plasti-Dip the car, I'll sort them out so they'll look good enough.

Sorry, the 2nd to last pic was out of focus, but it's showing that on the passenger's side, the top of the piece is aligned fine with the top of the quarter, unlike on the driver's side.

IMG_5948_20p.jpg

IMG_5949_20p.jpg

IMG_5950_20p.jpg

IMG_5951_20p.jpg

IMG_5952_20p.jpg

IMG_5953_20p.jpg

IMG_5954_20p.jpg

IMG_5955_20p.jpg

IMG_5948_20p.jpg

IMG_5949_20p.jpg

IMG_5950_20p.jpg

IMG_5951_20p.jpg

IMG_5952_20p.jpg

IMG_5953_20p.jpg

IMG_5954_20p.jpg

IMG_5955_20p.jpg

tim berry

Reaction score
Thanks for posting those photos 72 dodge here is what mine look like . The only thing i can say is wtf .

20140830_172306.jpg

20140830_172253.jpg

20140830_172327.jpg

20140830_172343.jpg

20140830_172350.jpg

20140830_172410.jpg

tim berry

Reaction score
Ok here is the next instalment most of the body work is done . There is some small details to address and then mold making time . One note most of you if decide to do something to your extentions your going to find that no matter how good they look they are going to gum up your sand paper do not use 80 grit on these parts they will dissapear fast . My first sanding was with 100 then 220 then i put them in etching primer . From here ive got to epoxy the lower mounts to the extention( this way i can mold the bolts in with the peice , and they will bolt up like factory parts ) .

20140830_130519.jpg

20140830_130528.jpg

20140830_130539.jpg

20140830_130548.jpg

20140830_171626.jpg

20140830_161949.jpg

tim berry

Reaction score
Well winter is here and I have to bag this project time to put the baby to bed it's too cold inside to risk more cracking we'll pick it up in the spring. The one thing that I've learned about these pieces (of crap) extentions is no mater how you baby them the will always present another Crack and sanding them is something that requires self control this has taken way longer than I thought but hey when your swinging but the short hair it has to hurt a little

Last edited:
Back