Side Impact Panels

CM360

Reaction score
What year did Chrysler start using impact panels on the F body? My '80 Aspen has them and a donor door does not.

F body Deconstructor Jim

Reaction score
I think they started using the side impact in the early-mid 70's.
Dont recall an F door without. Have to look at the ones in the stacks.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I believe they started using the door beams in 1970. I know the 1970 Barracuda Gran Coupe (first car) I had in the early '80's had door guard beams.
Whether all cars had the beams in 1970, I'm not sure. By all cars I mean all manufacturers selling in the U.S. to meet safety regulations. At any rate, by 1976 ALL cars had door guard beams, including F body.
My guess is if it doesn't have the beam, someone removed it somewhere along the line to save weight (bad idea for a street car IMO).

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, I know what you are talking about, now.

Yes, most of them were a wavy or corrugated looking piece of steel, just behind the outer door skin. Most of the newer cars just have a sizeable piece of pipe in that location.

I can’t comment about F-bodies - but I have seen body shops replace a bent outer skin, cutout that (bent) reinforcement and slap a new skin back on. I asked about it and I was told “parts weren’t available” – but I suspect shotty workmanship (or lazy).

Actually, I will leave that as my last comment, otherwise IDK.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Chances are, the door beam was (is) only available with the door assembly and not as a separate part and a REPUTABLE body shop would only repair the car with a new, or good used, door assy.
I always thought the door beams look like guardrails, which I suppose, makes sense.

Shows the advances in metal alloys that new vehicles have a 1-2" diameter pipe vs the huge rail of years past but protects against side impact twice as good, at a fraction of the weight.

Back