Smog pump delete question

MoparDan

Reaction score
The smog pump has been removed from The Cherry Bomb, we removed the vacuum hose and capped it. Now the question is what do we do with the two hoses that seem to go to the exhaust? Right now we have both hoses connected to each other with a small metal hose (see picture) but what's the right thing to do with them? (exhaust is still completely stock)
IMG_2023-01-26-17-12-24-007.jpg

Duke5A

Reaction score
Those tubes go to the backside of the exhaust manifolds. If they aren't sealed you'll have an exhaust leak.

It's a single bolt that holds the tube in place. It's tight, but there is enough room to get a boxed six point wrench on it. Once out you just cut the tube off leaving a few inches, crimp it closed in a vice and fold it over on itself. Then reinstall.

If the bolt is really rusty though you end up in a situation where you need to remove the exhaust manifolds to do the job. You could elect to cut the steel portion of the tubes where they run parallel to the sides of the motor and crimp off those sections instead. Much less to go wrong.

Lightning II

Reaction score
I wound up doing the super-cheap thing and trimmed the rubber hoses about 2-3 inches from the metal section and stuck corks in them.

It'll do for now.

MoparDan

Reaction score
That's probably what I'll end up doing, I haven't looked closely at them, but I'm sure the bolts are rusty.

MoparDan

Reaction score
What's really amazing is the way gas mileage has picked up since removing the pump! I hope to have a nice dual exhaust on the near future as well, I'll be asking some questions about that when the time is right

Back