Some Exhausting Questions....

DaveHath

Reaction score
Please excuse the bad pun....It has been a few years since I have done the MOPAR mix and match....after looking at the butchery on the exhaust system on my new to me 80 Duster. I was thinking about digging into the parts pile to put a set of duals on it. Currently it has stock mid 70s passenger car manifolds on the 318. In my pile I have a set of 72 E/B Body 340 exhaust manifolds. I know if I slide the tank over one strap I get room for A-Body tailpipes. Is there a Factory head pipe that will work with these manifolds? In the past I would have just taken it to the muffler shop to get them bent. The local shops here are not much help. If it is not in there system they can't do it. So i was thinking E-body or B body head pipes. I do have concerns. Are 2.5 inch pipes overkill on a low comp 318 with a thermoquad? 2 and 2.25 used to be the go to for small block exhausts. Any ideas here? Thanks

Aspen500

Reaction score
With a stock 318, you don't really need 2.5". May want to check, 340 A-Body head pipes should fit with some modifications.

Sucks there are no custom exhausr shops there anymore. We've got at least 1/2 dozen around here (one even does mandrel bending) but, that doesn't help you any, unfortunately.

Duke5A

Reaction score
2.25" duals are more than sufficient. 2.5" duals are good to about 450 horsepower for reference. Depends on what your future plans are.

I would sell those 340 manifolds to the resto crowd. You'll get good money for them and they won't do damn thing for a factory 318. The 318 manifolds breath well enough for about 300 horsepower.

DaveHath

Reaction score
It's funny the 340 manifolds were left over from my Cuda years ago. At the time they were worth the price of scrap.....we put headers on everything....and in the past my 318s were built much like my 273 and 340s.....higher compression head work and cam....now i just want to keep this clean until I build another engine....and that is yet to be decided. Since this is just a cruiser. I used to just build and treat the 318 like a big bore 273.....but that was the 80s and 90s.

DaveHath

Reaction score
With a stock 318, you don't really need 2.5". May want to check, 340 A-Body head pipes should fit with some modifications.

Sucks there are no custom exhausr shops there anymore. We've got at least 1/2 dozen around here (one even does mandrel bending) but, that doesn't help you any, unfortunately.
Yeah, it is a rural area. The drivers side is the side I am concerned with....I may have to get up in there this spring or in a few days if I am motivated to get the heat going in the garage.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
My rural mechanic did custom exhaust work and his prices were good. Now that he's retired I still need to find someone who's good and you don't have to bend over for.

DaveHath

Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea which head pipes might take the least amount of modification to work....
A-Body, B-Body or E-Body? I am leaning towards A or E body head pipes but I am not sure .....I was looking at some pipes from TTI....

Back