Source for Windshields

hemi_ram

Reaction score
Are there any new windshields out there for the Mirada/Cordoba or are the only options the wrecking yards? Thanks

Bryan M.

Reaction score
Last person I knew needed a Mirada windshield (SRT-8 Mirada) had to go the custom route. Safelite didn't have any in stock and weren't planning on restocking inventory as of Nov '13.

tim berry

Reaction score
this might be the source we have been looking for it called windshieldstogo.com when you punch in the perimeters they say they have them installed for 277.65 not installed 177.65 might be worth a look

72Dodge

Reaction score
Yeah, I just randomly ran across them yesterday. It's still very unlikely, but I was going to call them tomorrow. Usually places like that just come up with their automated quote THEN they check to see if they even have it, and of course they never do. I'll post up here if I have any luck.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Yep....I've seen many sites that come up in a search claiming to have parts for your 78 Plymouth....of course they never really do....

NoCar340

Reaction score
72Dodge, they have a warehouse in Milwaukee, so if they can make it, you're hooked up! Hell, it might be me coming down your way rather than the opposite.

72Dodge

Reaction score
I saw that. They won't have it. It's such a long shot it's barely even worth calling, but I'll call anyway.

NoCar340

Reaction score
Oh, don't be such a negative Nancy. :icon_biggrin: It's not like the pattern didn't exist at one point, since the cars were built for four model years and they weren't exactly limited production. I'm sure someone's still got it.

72Dodge

Reaction score
I just talked with them. They don't have any in any of their warehouses or partner warehouses anywhere. Same as for every other windshield distributor I've talked with. She put me on their search list to call some other places and will get ahold of me if she finds one (same as every other windshield distributor).

I try to stay positive about these things when calling, but it's the same story every time, unfortunately.

NoCar340

Reaction score
I wonder if a bunch of J-car owners got together, if we could make a group buy. As in, go to a bunch of other forums, have them put their name on a list here, and when we get enough names, approach vendors for bids: "We've got 100 definite guys, and probably 50 more that are on the fence until we get a number." The tooling is out there, of that I'm sure. The only problem is that it's likely all the windshields would have to go to one single location, which would have to be centralized for those on the list. Well, that and making damned sure the money's there when the product arrives. I don't actually need one, but it's an idea for those who do.

72Dodge

Reaction score
I'd be for it. How do we know the tooling is out there? Lots of tooling has been destroyed/lost over the years, how do we know this wasn't? These weren't limited production cars, but they weren't that popular or big-sellers either.

NoCar340

Reaction score
Oh, it's out there. You just need to find someone who understands your mission and also wants to exploit your wallet. They can make anything with the right pattern. The '64-'66 Barracuda back glass was continually available forever. I haven't checked in awhile, but the last time anyone I know did it was "Well, we can make it but it's going to cost about $650." That was within the past 10 years or so.

Try a local glass shop instead. Don't call, go down there. Show them you're serious... and expect to pay through the nose.

72Dodge

Reaction score
Exactly. That's the problem. I'm not paying $1200 for a custom windshield for an $800 car LOL

Of course anyone can make one... it's the potentially prohibitive cost that's the main factor.

Like I said before... Lexan/polycarb is always an option, just not a very practical or street-legal one.

NoCar340

Reaction score
The problem with plastics beyond their propensity for scratching is legality. There's a guy up here with a truly-nasty Henry J--we're talking a detuned 9-second all-motor car with a tube chassis--who's got Lexan all the way around. The side windows are 2-piece sliders, in fact. He got pulled over, the cop flicked the windshield with his finger, and wrote him a "fix it" ticket. Somehow, within 14 days, he found a proper windshield for the car but I don't know what he paid for it.

72Dodge

Reaction score
Exactly.

I'll part it long before I pay $1200 (or whatever) for a windshield. But, that's overly dramatic. I'm sure at some point I will find a used one... it would just be real nice to be able to find a source for new ones, especially if they're plentiful and reasonably priced.

tim berry

Reaction score
I'm sorry this turned out this way boys I personally don't need one for my cordoba but with all the eyes looking ya never know

kkritsilas

Reaction score
72Dodge:

Pretty much in line with my own thoughts. I was offered to have one custom made for me at $700, with shipping to Calgary of $500. On top of that, no guarantee that it would get here in one piece. I declined. If I were to win the lottery, I may consider buying a $1200 windshield, but shorr of that, I can't see it.

I found one in a junkyard in Ontario, and they didn't want to ship. I found on in Utah, and the lady on the phone said (direct quote) "Windshields are never shipped". So I asked her if every glass repair place had a glass factory behind it, and where she thought the replacement windshields came from, then hung up.

Kostas

Back