Spark control computer

realgone58

Reaction score
Anybody have a working Electronic Spark Control computer that they don't need? Everything was fine on the '86 Fifth, until yesterday, no start. No spark either. Plenty of fuel, new coil, cap rotor, plugs, wires all the usual stuff. Nothing disconnected. I would imagine the only thing left could be the spark control box. Any suggestions? I really can't afford to switch distributors right now to straight electronic ignition.

R/T Mirada

Reaction score
Hi Realgone58,
You can bypass the spark control and use the existing distributor as a stop gap measure, that is the way I bought my Mirada you won't have any spark advance but it will run and is driveable.
A new distributor from your local parts distributor is only about 30-35 dollars

Nuttyprof

Reaction score
Hi Realgone58,
You can bypass the spark control and use the existing distributor as a stop gap measure, that is the way I bought my Mirada you won't have any spark advance but it will run and is driveable.
A new distributor from your local parts distributor is only about 30-35 dollars

However, if the problem is the pickup in the distributor, bypassing the scc will not work. The wires to the pickup will sometimes fail without breaking the insulation and that can cause intermittent or total spark failure. See if the wires to the pickup will stretch, if they do at all then replace the pickup and you should be good to go, if not, continue on the course you are going. Good luck.

NoCar340

Reaction score
The pickup coil's easy to test. Unplug the wiring, set the multimeter to 1K ohms and turn the engine over. The display should rise and fall as the distributor turns. You might want to check your coil, too. First thing you look for is leaking oil at the crimp, then break out the multimeter again and Google "testing a 12V ignition coil".

realgone58

Reaction score
You guys aren't going to believe this. The ground strap from the back of the engine to the coil bracket was frayed and broken. I read somewhere that this will cause lean burn systems not to spark. I simply twisted it back together and it fired right up! Everyone who runs one of these systems yet may want to check that thing. Tim, I may take you up on that offer, just to have an extra one.

alf44

Reaction score
I got one if you want it all for the cost of shipping

if someone else doesnt buy your puter.. can i buy it from you? i need 1 for a 85 5th with a 318. t y.. pm me if you can

Last edited:

realgone58

Reaction score
I was going to get it for a spare, but if you need it for your car to run, go ahead and grab it. Mine is doing fine so far.

tim berry

Reaction score
if anybody wants it pm me and you pay for the shipping .good unit came from 1980 e58 cordoba .

alf44

Reaction score
tim... does that 1 have 2 plugs or 1?.. realgone,,you have first grabs,, i only put my bid in if and when no one else askes

alf44

Reaction score
ok t y.... im using a older puter from the 70.s with only 1 plug and it does run but i know half the shit isnt pluged in and working right

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Lose that crap and go with a new ignition box. Summit sells a cheaper knock off box that is just the same as MSD. You can hide it in the glove box just as I did.

alf44

Reaction score
Lose that crap and go with a new ignition box. Summit sells a cheaper knock off box that is just the same as MSD. You can hide it in the glove box just as I did.

how easy is it to use that summit box? and about how much, im only using the L B untill i pull engine for the rebuild so no high cost parts... yet,lol thanks bremereric.... B T W love your aspen

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
If someone is buying a computer keep in mind they're not all the same.
The top two are the older one's
The bottom I think is mid 80's.
2013-12-28 07.59.01-1.jpg

2013-12-28 07.59.01-1.jpg

tim berry

Reaction score
I went looking for the lean burn box and apparently it has been missplaced during my house renovation. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have cause anyone

Back