speedo gear change help

slant6billy

Reaction score
I still use the factory gear in my 904 (998) in my Volare. My rear is geared far from factory. Any tips for changing this out. Who is a good vendor that sells these speedo gears. I figure in choosing the right speedo gear you take outside tire diameter and rear end ratio to select the correct gear.

brotherGood

Reaction score
Give me a few, and I'll look through my notes to figure out where I got mine. I haven't changed it out yet, but I've at least got it..lol

slant6billy

Reaction score
I just hooked 2 of the red 41 tooth from a seller (Same guy who sells the mopar key blanks). One of the speedometer gears is the short and one is the long. My plan is to utilize the long 41 tooth for the Volare. The short is for a more modern trans like my 97 SS/T or so I am told. Either way.... SCORE!

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Hit the ALL STOP. I just saw another seller over on ebay have a disclaimer..." Won't work on Aspen or Volare all plastic speedo gear" WTF is that about? Is the speedo gear unique in F bodies? Are the M J and R bodies the same all plastic or are they just like these here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-SPEED...Parts_Accessories&hash=item23461333b8&vxp=mtr
If you have the plastic speedometer housing it won't. However I found a fix at PATC transmissions. Use the aluminum housing, the long shaft gear and then source a cable from a 1980 Dodge pickup truck. Did it for mine.

http://www.transmissioncenter.org/speedometer_gears_for_dodge_and_jeep.htm

Last edited:

slant6billy

Reaction score
100_3146.jpg
100_3147.jpg
It looks like metal, but no hex nut? So I think it is the plastic type

100_3146.jpg

100_3147.jpg

slant6billy

Reaction score
If I read the link correctly, I would need a red plastic housing in order to get a 41 tooth speedo gear. I don't have the correct gear for the plastic housing to my current tire and ring& pinion. I acquired the red 41 tooth for a metal housing and was going to go the route of a 1980 pickup truck cable. I assume the pickup cable would mate up with the back of the speedo on the cluster.

I was out today junk'n and no luck a sourcing a cable from a junker.

I will try the avenue of NAPA? That is unless you have a solution Jim?

F body Deconstructor Jim

Reaction score
If I read the link correctly, I would need a red plastic housing in order to get a 41 tooth speedo gear. I don't have the correct gear for the plastic housing to my current tire and ring& pinion. I acquired the red 41 tooth for a metal housing and was going to go the route of a 1980 pickup truck cable. I assume the pickup cable would mate up with the back of the speedo on the cluster.

I was out today junk'n and no luck a sourcing a cable from a junker.

I will try the avenue of NAPA? That is unless you have a solution Jim?

I'll check my stash for a 41 tooth for the plastic housing tomorrow and let you know. Hows that for a solution Billy? :toothy2:

F body Deconstructor Jim

Reaction score
Sorry Billy, I found nothing larger than a 30 tooth (yellow). The red is 26, white is 27, black is 29. All the plastic holders I have are red.
I dont know that the F's ever came with a 41 tooth, might be a truck use only piece.
You may have to go with the metal holder.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Sorry Billy, I found nothing larger than a 30 tooth (yellow). The red is 26, white is 27, black is 29. All the plastic holders I have are red.
I dont know that the F's ever came with a 41 tooth, might be a truck use only piece.
You may have to go with the metal holder.

Thanks anyway. It looks like the truck cable goes for 17 bucks, but non stock at all the auto stores. It looks like the part that mates up to the cluster is the same, but the end down at the trans has the threaded collar.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks anyway. It looks like the truck cable goes for 17 bucks, but non stock at all the auto stores. It looks like the part that mates up to the cluster is the same, but the end down at the trans has the threaded collar.
Follow my suggestion and you can't go wrong. Not cheap but it works. The owner of PATC even called me to make sure I really was ordering the right cable. Call that customer service to the "T".

slant6billy

Reaction score
OK my new cable arrived. Good news, the plastic end at the dash cluster is exact. Bad news; the aluminum housing I got in the parts haul has larger threads than the cable. I'll br heading to Century Motors in South Phila to get a transmission speedo cable housing off another mopar. I realized the JEEP one I have will not work. Yep, the parts guy who gave it to me was a real JEEP nut, so I thought his old CJ5/7 was going to be different

slant6billy

Reaction score
OK. My local NAPA store had a good selection of cables and better match to what I needed. That is plastic snap on end (at the speedometer) and the 7/8 threaded end (at the trans speedo gear housing). The PATC guys were very helpful, but were out of stock on cable I needed. Luckily the guy at NAPA had some age with insight and knew exactly what I was trying to describe.

Back